Engine Pre-Filter cleaning

Mr. Mower

Threads
Basically this thread is more out of curiosity.

I know and realize that not every Hustler model ZT mowers engine comes equipped with a Pre-Filter.

This thread is directed to those individuals that do maintain their own engines maintenance, etc.

My particular Hustler mowers' engine (Kohler 7000 Series KT740-725 25hp) comes with a "Pre-Filter" along with the engines regular Filter.

Every Spring I give my mower a complete tune-up, change Spark Plugs, change the Oil, Oil Filter, engine Filter and it's Pre-Filter, etc.

Though from time to time I will remove the engines "Pre-Filter" and clean it throughly with just soap and water, then let dry. Once completely dry I will again, soak it in oil and place it back around the Filter so that the mower is ready for the next cut.

I perform this is in accordance to my particular mowers engines' Service Manual, page 28, section Air/Intake Cleaner which gives directions on how to perform this but does not state any where on how often it should be performed.

Anyone else here does the same or anything similar or just replace with it with a brand new Pre-Filter?

If so, how often do you do this?

Thanks in advance to those individuals that have posted favorably.

Attachments

• Kohler 740 engine pre-filter.JPG
    Kohler 740 engine pre-filter.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 14

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good post, i remove air filter with pre-cleaner every 2 to 4 weeks, inspect main filter by holding it towards sun looking from inside filter toward outside filter, sometimes i gently tap filter against building to remove particles, I wash pre-filter with liquid soap outside, rinse, squeeze, let air dry & reinstall filters. I do not use oil on pre-filter. By the way, air filters are one of the most overlooked & neglected part on any applicable engine, an engine has to breathe. I check oil level on dipstick before each use.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The current recommendation is to oil foam only filters like what is used on push mowers, but do not oil the foam wrap filter over the paper cartridge because most people over oil the filter causing it to soak into the paper filter which will plug it up. This became about because most people use way more than the recommended teaspoon of oil to oil the entire foam filter.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The best thing you can do for air filter maintenance is to install commercial-grade canister filter with a Filter Minder, as our fellow member 7394, aka "Buddy" did. A Filter Minder is a gauge which measures intake vacuum on the clean side of the filter. It will let you know when your air cleaner element needs to be replaced. Most people replace their air filter elements too often. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/52096-Kawaaski-FR651V-FX-air-box-conversion

If that isn't an option and your air cleaner uses a sock over the main element, periodically remove the sock and clean it per your engine mfgr recommendation. DO NOT disturb the pleated paper element if you can help it. That advice was given to me by Field Service Reps from both Donaldson and Fleetguard. Their advice was to never remove a paper pleated filter unless you're going to throw it away.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no specified time because the mower companies have no control over the end use.
If you bag then the wrap could need changing as often as every use.
My customers who do their own routine maintenance have mostly gone over to using 2 or 3 wraps so there is always a clean fresh one ready to be installed.
I have found that shampoo is the best thing to wash them in and suggest the owners take them into the shower wash the filter when they wash their hair ( not happening with this chrome dome ) .
The wrap is only there to extend the life of the paper filter by trapping big things like grass clippings.

As for your regular maintenance it would be better done at the end of the season so the mower is ready to run after that first unexpected spring rain.
It is also a lot better to replace the oil after you have mowed so the crud is well & truely mixed up & suspended in the oil.
There are also acids in the oil which will accelerate corrosive wear inside the engine if left sitting over winter.
I also advise mmy customers to remove the blower housing & leave it sitting on the seat to discourage field mice taking up residence over winter when the mowers might not be used, depending upon rainfall.

Mr. Mower

Threads
https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/52096-Kawaaski-FR651V-FX-air-box-conversion

I guess that would be a pretty cool feature to have installed somewhere on your mowers engine and yes there are some who definitely need some sort of "visual" reminder that their mowers engine Filter(s) needs to be either, cleaned or replaced, etc.

I can see that feature being very beneficial for those individuals who use their mowers far more than just regular usage, either heavy residential usage or commercial use. Then yes that particular feature would definitely be a big plus factor.

Though, speaking for myself, I always tend to follow what the Service Manual says to perform on my mowers engine concerning this (without any type of extra reminder).

That's just the way I am. I replace Spark Plugs, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Engines Pre-Filter and main Filter regardless of what the hours indicate. Again, this happens once every year for my ZT mower.

But I also take it a step further and as previously stated, basically just give my mower a basic tune up every early Spring regardless of the amount of hours showing on the gauge.

My mower really doesn't get heavy usage, it has low hours, currently gauge shows 43.2 hours for little over 1 acre of land to cut and I've had my Hustler ZT mower purchased brand new since 2016.

Below is what the Service Manual for my particular manufacturers engine says about it.

I used to perform the same thing on my previous riding mower (old YardMachine with a Briggs & Stratton engine) and also had that purchased brand new back in 1997 and it lasted me till I purchased my current Hustler ZT mower in 2016 (so you do the math) and it never failed me back then, always kept going.

Attachments

• Pre-Filter Air Filter engine Kohler 7000 Series replacement.JPG
    Pre-Filter Air Filter engine Kohler 7000 Series replacement.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: