Argh! Briggs Recoil

craig2

Threads
Correct, my crankshaft is threaded already.

bertsmobile1: those are good ideas, will take the belt off, check for play top and bottom, and spin it manually to see if there is any wobble. I might just see if I can find a top shroud. It's not hard to imagine that getting bent or distorted.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Then why did you cut it?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So originally this engine had no pull starter at all, and someone tried to add one. Does the flywheel have starter gear teeth?

craig2

Threads
The engine came with pull start, there are no flywheel gear teeth. Can't tell you why Briggs went with a threaded crankshaft and extension. If you look at the IPL for this engine it shows the threaded extension, so was stock for this engine.

As to why I cut it, see posts 12 & 17.

I already have a new crankshaft extension in-hand, so this is a non-issue.

craig2

Threads
All parts came in and went through this process:
  • Remove belts and checked for crankshaft play. None radially, just a little axially.
  • Install shroud and check for alignment of the top opening and the flywheel. Spot on.
  • Remove shroud, install new recoil on shroud.
  • Install crank extension.
  • Put a drop of oil on shaft, then install clutch.
  • Install shroud.
  • Check for smooth operation with sparkplug removed.
  • Reinstall sparkplug.

It starts and runs properly, so we'll see how it goes. When I had trouble previously, it was after several hours of operation.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

Tinkerer200

Threads
All parts came in and went through this process:
  • Remove belts and checked for crankshaft play. None radially, just a little axially.
  • Install shroud and check for alignment of the top opening and the flywheel. Spot on.
  • Remove shroud, install new recoil on shroud.
  • Install crank extension.
  • Put a drop of oil on shaft, then install clutch.
  • Install shroud.
  • Check for smooth operation with sparkplug removed.
  • Reinstall sparkplug.

It starts and runs properly, so we'll see how it goes. When I had trouble previously, it was after several hours of operation.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

I generally put a few drops of oil directly into the felt pad which should be in the top of the ratchet spool before installing assembly. That is what the little hole in top is for but I put it inside before installing. Be sure extension is polished. Since you have a new one, should be no problem.

Fish has lost out on the fact that B&S has been using crankshafts for sometime which are drilled and threaded to take an extension for a recoil if used and a stud if no recoil is used. One crankshaft is used for both, recoil start and non recoil start.

Walt Conner

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I have been out of things for a while. Back in the day, only shortblocks came with the removable shaft, as that was the era when the other style starters were becoming the standard.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
And most engines of that size came with electric start, and no pull start. Snappers were known to have both, and walk behind commercial mowers.