Argh! Briggs Recoil

craig2

Threads
I have a Briggs 28B702 on an Exmark Metro 32". I had a ton of trouble with the original ball bearing recoil clutch mechanism. No matter what parts I replaced and type of oil I used, the clutch would jam up and mess up the recoil spring every couple of months of weekly mowing. After replacing every part and still having the same issue, I gave up and replaced the entire starter with a new one with retracting pawls. And now those plastic pawls are busted after a two month's worth of mowing.

Are there any Briggs recoil mechanisms that actually work for an engine this size? I can't keep fixing this!

Thanks!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you had to cut off the shaft for the pawl starter, I am assuming?

craig2

Threads
Yes I did. That part threads into the crankshaft, so I didn't mind cutting it knowing I could replace it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I did. That part threads into the crankshaft, so I didn't mind cutting it knowing I could replace it.

So you still have it?

Go back to the old style starter.

craig2

Threads
I would have to order a new crankshaft extension to go back to the old style.

Thoughts on how to keep the clutch properly lubricated so that it doesn't jam up and eject the starter rope and mess up the spring? As noted in my first post, I've replaced every part and tried different oils, but every 2 months it was back to taking the whole thing apart again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would have to order a new crankshaft extension to go back to the old style.

Thoughts on how to keep the clutch properly lubricated so that it doesn't jam up and eject the starter rope and mess up the spring? As noted in my first post, I've replaced every part and tried different oils, but every 2 months it was back to taking the whole thing apart again.

No oil is suppossed to be used. It just collects dirt.

So you removed the old crankshaft extension and threw it away?

craig2

Threads
Old crankshaft extension had to be cut to make way for the new pawl cup.

I know there should be no oil where the ball bearings go, that just collects dirt and prevents clutch engagement. But shouldn't there be a small amount of oil on the crankshaft extension where it goes inside of the square part below? The crankshaft extension spins at 3600 rpm inside of the square part once the engine is started.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 36

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
How can you install the crankshaft extension back on?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Older shortblocks came with a threaded crankshaft extension, so it could be used on both version engine applications, but not meant to be able to use it on cut crankshafts.

craig2

Threads
Right, I have a threaded crankcase extension which I cut. It's no problem to buy another one for $20.