Honda HR216HXA carb question

JBtoro

Threads
Picked up this classic. Looks like it needs a new carb. I believe it has the GXV140 engine; that's what the manual says. In searching for aftermarket carbs, I see the style pictured below; description says it fits the HR215. But it has that little attachment thing on it which mine doesn't. Otherwise, the rest of the unit looks like mine; ie, linkage connectors, etc. Would this one work on place of the original? And I am most curious as to what that attachment does. Anybody know?

HR215 carb.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First the easy bit.
The thing on the side is a fuel tap.
If you see the same thing with a bowl on the bottom that is a sediment filter usually only found on stationary engines.

Now as the saying goes, " A fool & his money are soon parted" and dads favourite "he who buys cheap pays thrice "

Because of the flood of counterfeit parts pouring out of China, Honda has dropped their parts price to near cost.
So get the RIGHT carb from a Honda dealer and you will know it WORKS .

Buying some thing off the web from some one who does not know anything about the part , so has listed it incorrectly is a stupid thing to do.
You have no idea who you are buying from or even if you are buying a part that has been tested & works or buying reject defective parts purchased as scrap metal then sold off to cheapskates.

There is a big difference between:-
"fits" , it will bolt up and the control wires will hook up
or
OEM = came out of the same factory, might be good or might be scrap
and
Guaranteed certified replacement part.

About 1/4 of what comes through the gate is stuff that an owner has tried to fix with cheap parts bought off ebay or amazon that were defective.

tadawson

Threads
Picked up this classic. Looks like it needs a new carb. I believe it has the GXV140 engine; that's what the manual says. In searching for aftermarket carbs, I see the style pictured below; description says it fits the HR215. But it has that little attachment thing on it which mine doesn't. Otherwise, the rest of the unit looks like mine; ie, linkage connectors, etc. Would this one work on place of the original? And I am most curious as to what that attachment does. Anybody know?

View attachment 44143

HR214: GXV120
HR215: GXV140
HR216: GXV160

And that is a fuel shutoff and sediment bowl . . . definitely present on the GXV140 on my HR215, not sure about the HR216 . . .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

And that is a fuel shutoff and sediment bowl . . . definitely present on the GXV140 on my HR215, not sure about the HR216 . . .

The carb shown is for a Lifan engine ( honda knock off ).
There is no sediment bowl on it, just the on off tap, usually fitted with a neoprene seal that goes to mus in 1 to 2 years and totally clogs up the carb.

tadawson

Threads
The carb shown is for a Lifan engine ( honda knock off ).
There is no sediment bowl on it, just the on off tap, usually fitted with a neoprene seal that goes to mus in 1 to 2 years and totally clogs up the carb.

I was talking about my GXV140 carb, which looks like that. 30 years later, seals are still fine, and I believe it was Honda that had said 'sediment bowl' in a manual I read, but I can't find it now, so ???

And don't care about craptastic Chinese parts . . . there are typically far bigger issues than seals . . .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The identical looking Honda seal is made from n-bunya rubber and lasts for decades.

JBtoro

Threads

HR216 was a typo; its an HR215KHXA with a GXV140. The fuel shutoff/sediment carb is described as a replacement for an HR215 & GXV140. Yet mine doesn't have the shutoff/sediment bowl; it looks like the one below. I'm asking whether the shutoff/sediment unit would work/fit on my mower, OEM or otherwise, and at this point, that's the only info I am seeking here. What do you think( I think it would work)? ... & thanks so much for helping me.

HRR215 carb 2.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The shut off valve is just that, a tap.
Will not make nits knacker of difference to the operation of the engine.
Only problem will be fitting the fuel hose if the inlet is at a different angle or different position.

It should work for now. As previously mentioned if the seal is cheap neoprene it will fail in a season or less
So the question is "do you feel lucky" ?

tadawson

Threads
A bigger question is why not just clean/rebuild what you have, instead of risking 3rd world crap? If what you have is an actual Honda carb, you will be hard pressed to do better . . . As far as fit, the GXV engines are all pretty much the same, so unless something on yours interferes mechanically with the shutoff, it should work fine . . . as noted, the HR215 (at least earlier ones) were stock with the carb with the shutoff, so either it was changed on later K variants, or someone downgraded it for you already.