Honda HR216HXA carb question

JBtoro

Threads
The shut off valve is just that, a tap.
Will not make nits knacker of difference to the operation of the engine.
Only problem will be fitting the fuel hose if the inlet is at a different angle or different position.

It should work for now. As previously mentioned if the seal is cheap neoprene it will fail in a season or less
So the question is "do you feel lucky" ?

Not questioning your knowledge & advice, but an aftermarket carb on Amazon is $9.99 vs 60-70 OEM. On an old mower like this one, the former is about what I am willing to put into it. So, to pick up on your "Dirty Harry" quote; I think I might tell Amazon to "Go ahead, make my day."

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-HR215K...em+carburetor&qid=1559613236&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Attachments

• honda 69.jpg
    honda 69.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3

JBtoro

Threads
A bigger question is why not just clean/rebuild what you have, instead of risking 3rd world crap? If what you have is an actual Honda carb, you will be hard pressed to do better . . . As far as fit, the GXV engines are all pretty much the same, so unless something on yours interferes mechanically with the shutoff, it should work fine . . . as noted, the HR215 (at least earlier ones) were stock with the carb with the shutoff, so either it was changed on later K variants, or someone downgraded it for you already.

I did clean the original thoroughly; carb cleaner, emulsion tube removal and cleaning of the tiny holes; compressed air. Still runs erratic. But thanks for your opinion on using the shutoff version; I'm pretty sure there won't be any interference. I must admit though that, based on experience with aftermarket parts, I am not as opposed to them as many are. Besides, some may be surprised to know that Honda itself uses the 3rd world. See below: Thailand.

Thailand.jpg

tadawson

Threads
Did you pull and clean the pilot jet and needle as well? The only time I have not gotten a carb back to 100% with cleaning, a kit (sometimes) and adjustment was one of these, and 20+ years in ethanol fuel had caused the pilot jet to shrink and the engine surged. Replaced that, and perfect for the last 10 and still gping strong.

I don't as much have an objection to offshore mystery parts as I do unneccessary parts, and I would wager that at least 95% of carb replacements are not needed . . .

Also note that the issue is not so much where it is made, but for/by who . . . Honda can get stuff from where ever it wants, applies it's QC and backs the part. ChinFatCo's $9 carbs you are lucky to find the mfg the next day (or ever) and QC is a maybe, and nobody backs it . . .you are 0n your own before the part even arrives.

Oh, and I find my HR215 to be worth more $$$ than any of the junk sold today . . . Can't find anything even close for under $1000 . . . rebuilt mine (engine included) for about $200, and should go another 30 years . . . a lot depends on how abused it has been though, that's for certain . . .

JBtoro

Threads
Did you pull and clean the pilot jet and needle as well? The only time I have not gotten a carb back to 100% with cleaning, a kit (sometimes) and adjustment was one of these, and 20+ years in ethanol fuel had caused the pilot jet to shrink and the engine surged. Replaced that, and perfect for the last 10 and still gping strong.

I don't as much have an objection to offshore mystery parts as I do unneccessary parts, and I would wager that at least 95% of carb replacements are not needed . . .

Also note that the issue is not so much where it is made, but for/by who . . . Honda can get stuff from where ever it wants, applies it's QC and backs the part. ChinFatCo's $9 carbs you are lucky to find the mfg the next day (or ever) and QC is a maybe, and nobody backs it . . .you are 0n your own before the part even arrives.

Oh, and I find my HR215 to be worth more $$$ than any of the junk sold today . . . Can't find anything even close for under $1000 . . . rebuilt mine (engine included) for about $200, and should go another 30 years . . . a lot depends on how abused it has been though, that's for certain . . .

Good points all ... yeah cleaned the jet & needle too. The jet on this carb screws in on top of the emulsion tube & is brass. Is that what you say had shrunk?

215 jet.jpg

tadawson

Threads
Good points all ... yeah cleaned the jet & needle too. The jet on this carb screws in on top of the emulsion tube & is brass. Is that what you say had shrunk?

View attachment 44170

Nope - the black plastic pilot jet that presses into the top of the carb . . #24 in the parts list linked in the last post.

JBtoro

Threads
Nope - the black plastic pilot jet that presses into the top of the carb . . #24 in the parts list linked in the last post.

Ok, I see it now. BTW, I think you nailed it as to why some HR215's have the shutoff version but others don't. It appears to be that Honda changed things, for whatever reason, on later models. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any engines (GCV160's &190's) with the shutoff in the last, say 10-15 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, I see it now. BTW, I think you nailed it as to why some HR215's have the shutoff version but others don't. It appears to be that Honda changed things, for whatever reason, on later models. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any engines (GCV160's &190's) with the shutoff in the last, say 10-15 years.

Usually the cut off is fitted to the commercial engines because they bounce around in their trailers and tend to flood during transist.
Also commercial operators are nowhere near as price sensitive as the domestic market.
Cut off valve with sediment filter is generally found on stationary engines because the sediment trap would not work with the mower bouncing around on a lawn.

There is no problem with Chinese made parts that have ben made in a quality controlled factory,
Honda has 11 factories in China, All of the Honda engine we get down here come from China , as does most of the small Briggs & Kohlers.
And yes the factories in China buy in carburettors from other factories in China.

The difference is what gets put into a bag with Honda on it has been quality controlled , inspected and passed.
The scrap that gets rejected ends up being sold on Ebay & Amazon.
Thus the bad carburettors with problems that were made by the factory that supplies carburettors to Honda end up being sold as OEM & fitting x,y & z.
All of which is true, what gets omitted from the description is the carburettor was one Honda rejected as being substandard .

Having said that some will be good, they are simply over production.
The problem is there is no way of telling till they get fitted and the engine still dose not work right , so the owner rips into the engine , oft doing more damage doing so thinking that it can not be the carb because it is brand new from an OEM supplier.

I see these all the time, they come through the gate, the owners having thrown a lot of money at them replacing all sorts of things when the problem is a faulty carb and the original problem was a dirty carb that was not cleaned properly which is a lot harder than many would expect, some taking several hours in the ultrasonic cleaner with very agressive cleaning solutions.

I am an independent service technician & fit CHINESE parts , however they are bought through real wholesalers who have a real warehouses, real reps and cover them with real warranties as they are quality controlled at the factory.
Now getting back to YOU.
You have a problem that you can not seem to identify or fix so you have decided to try to overcome it by fitting a new carburettor.
Nothing wrong with that approach.
However that will only work , if the new parts you are fitting are actually good & fit for purpose.
You have no way of assertaining if the carb is good or bad so in those situations it is prudent to get the carb from some one who stands behind what they are selling .
Amazon & ebay retailers do not do this in most cases they are nothing more than a person who imports parts, send them to an Amazon / ebay warehouse who store & dispatch them to you.

JBtoro

Threads
Usually the cut off is fitted to the commercial engines because they bounce around in their trailers and tend to flood during transist.
Also commercial operators are nowhere near as price sensitive as the domestic market.
Cut off valve with sediment filter is generally found on stationary engines because the sediment trap would not work with the mower bouncing around on a lawn.

There is no problem with Chinese made parts that have ben made in a quality controlled factory,
Honda has 11 factories in China, All of the Honda engine we get down here come from China , as does most of the small Briggs & Kohlers.
And yes the factories in China buy in carburettors from other factories in China.

The difference is what gets put into a bag with Honda on it has been quality controlled , inspected and passed.
The scrap that gets rejected ends up being sold on Ebay & Amazon.
Thus the bad carburettors with problems that were made by the factory that supplies carburettors to Honda end up being sold as OEM & fitting x,y & z.
All of which is true, what gets omitted from the description is the carburettor was one Honda rejected as being substandard .

Having said that some will be good, they are simply over production.
The problem is there is no way of telling till they get fitted and the engine still dose not work right , so the owner rips into the engine , oft doing more damage doing so thinking that it can not be the carb because it is brand new from an OEM supplier.

I see these all the time, they come through the gate, the owners having thrown a lot of money at them replacing all sorts of things when the problem is a faulty carb and the original problem was a dirty carb that was not cleaned properly which is a lot harder than many would expect, some taking several hours in the ultrasonic cleaner with very agressive cleaning solutions.

I am an independent service technician & fit CHINESE parts , however they are bought through real wholesalers who have a real warehouses, real reps and cover them with real warranties as they are quality controlled at the factory.
Now getting back to YOU.
You have a problem that you can not seem to identify or fix so you have decided to try to overcome it by fitting a new carburettor.
Nothing wrong with that approach.
However that will only work , if the new parts you are fitting are actually good & fit for purpose.
You have no way of assertaining if the carb is good or bad so in those situations it is prudent to get the carb from some one who stands behind what they are selling .
Amazon & ebay retailers do not do this in most cases they are nothing more than a person who imports parts, send them to an Amazon / ebay warehouse who store & dispatch them to you.

Thank you for your input; I appreciate your help.

JBtoro

Threads
Well, I got the Amazon sediment bowl carb. It fit perfectly. It came with, believe it or not, a magneto & a bunch of gaskets & a hose for $11.99. I know, its not OEM ... but the seller offers 120 day free return so I took the plunge. The effort to replace the carb on the GXV140 is easier than on GCV160's; took me about 15 mins. You remove two nuts on fixed studs rather than having to remove bolts & then fight getting all the spacers, gaskets, carb, & filter housing lined up & maneuvered back on. Anyway, the mower started on the first pull after the install & has run well for a couple of mowing sessions. Time will tell, I guess, but so far so good. BTW, I became suspicious early on of the magneto during this process. Others have reported a shorting issue of that part after the mower gets hot. The one I replaced is probably the original, vintage mid to late 1990's.