Identify Briggs opposed twin pre 1980 with no stamping based on characteristics

GMG_25

Threads
  • / Identify Briggs opposed twin pre 1980 with no stamping based on characteristics
Hello everybody,

Reading here in the forum has helped me a lot, now it's time to ask a question:

I'm disassembling an old riding mower to restore it - first and foremost is the engine.

It is a Briggs "Boxer" (opposed twin) and exactly the air baffle, in which the numbers for model, type and code should be stamped is missing.
I hope now with the assembled professionals here, due to the characteristics of the engine, to narrow down its identity.

* The model so far: 4xy7z7
4 - 40ci at least, it's the boxer
x - this is really only 0 or 2 in question, I think
y - basic design series unknown
7 - vertical with FloJet without wind govenor
z - have not yet opened the crankcase, do not know which bearing is installed, at least no external oil filter
7 - electric starter with alternator

* It seems to be the oldest carburettor in this series, with adjusting screws for both high and low speeds. It's not the Nikki_6.

* It is probably the earliest fuel pump installed, with the body made of beige plastic and sitting on the right side, not the front.

* The intake bridge seems to be of the oldest type, upper and lower halves can be split lengthwise.

* On the inside of the flywheel (all steel including the fins) there is a cast mark 'GI 76' - if this should indicate the time of the casting, it would be before the first pre-series boxer ...

I will gladly share more details or take pictures. Here in Germany, this engine is extremely rare, so I can't ask anyone here.

Many thanks for your help,
greeting
Franz

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Identify Briggs opposed twin pre 1980 with no stamping based on characteristics
Put up a pic of it...

GMG_25

Threads
Thanks for your quick reply.

A pic of what precisely???

Franz

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine, the carb, anything.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The starter.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Hello everybody,

Reading here in the forum has helped me a lot, now it's time to ask a question:

I'm disassembling an old riding mower to restore it - first and foremost is the engine.

It is a Briggs "Boxer" (opposed twin) and exactly the air baffle, in which the numbers for model, type and code should be stamped is missing.
I hope now with the assembled professionals here, due to the characteristics of the engine, to narrow down its identity.

* The model so far: 4xy7z7
4 - 40ci at least, it's the boxer
x - this is really only 0 or 2 in question, I think
y - basic design series unknown
7 - vertical with FloJet without wind govenor
z - have not yet opened the crankcase, do not know which bearing is installed, at least no external oil filter
7 - electric starter with alternator

* It seems to be the oldest carburettor in this series, with adjusting screws for both high and low speeds. It's not the Nikki_6.

* It is probably the earliest fuel pump installed, with the body made of beige plastic and sitting on the right side, not the front.

* The intake bridge seems to be of the oldest type, upper and lower halves can be split lengthwise.

* On the inside of the flywheel (all steel including the fins) there is a cast mark 'GI 76' - if this should indicate the time of the casting, it would be before the first pre-series boxer ...

I will gladly share more details or take pictures. Here in Germany, this engine is extremely rare, so I can't ask anyone here.

Many thanks for your help,
greeting
Franz

Assuming you description of the engine is correct, I can send you a Service Manual IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me the, well I usually say engine model number, but since you don't know, the description of the engine or overall photograph and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

GMG_25

Threads
wilco - just shortly outside to make the pictures - be back soon.

Franz

GMG_25

Threads
Ok,

back inside and threw some pictures in two PDF's:

The pic of the starter wouldn't help much as the seller changed it for an aftermarket starter, as well as for the ignition-coil.

Please be specific if I should make some more detailed photos - thanks.

Greets
Franz

Attachments

• Boxer_Collage_01.pdf
    332.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Boxer_Collage_02.pdf
    353.8 KB · Views: 25

Tinkerer200

Threads
Service Manual sent from my desk top computer, hope you got it. As Fish said, probably model 401707 but not that critical on that engine for most things. Will use the same rings as 28 series "L" head, early 28 series OHV and 42 series opposed. Difference between 40 & 42 series opposed is piston stroke as far as displacement is concerned. Many parts interchange.

Walt Conner