Hello

Rotoblade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello to all lawnworld members. Am new to the organization and not too savvy on computers. I do have a question though. I have a craftsman riding mower model #917.250831 that starts instantly and runs perfect, but when I shut it off in makes a loud couple of clunks like thr bottom end is going out. Any ideas? Thank you

Rotoblade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello to all lawnworld members. Am new to the organization and not too savvy on computers. I do have a question though. I have a craftsman riding mower model #917.250831 that starts instantly and runs perfect, but when I shut it off in makes a loud couple of clunks like thr bottom end is going out. Any ideas? Thank you
P.S. The motor also gives a couple good jerks at the same time, like the mounting bolts are loose.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Internal balancer? Or an electric blade clutch not anchored right?

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Craftsman section.

Rotoblade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Catherine,
I think that would work out real well. I’m still having a little trouble negotiating my way around here. I have been too busy lately to check the motor mounts, but hopefully will get to it soon Thanks to everyone who responded.This is a very interesting forum just to read even if you don’t have a problem. Thanks again.

Rotoblade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Internal balancer? Or an electric blade clutch not anchored right?

Finally got time to check out the shaking mower engine. Mounting bolts tight and pulley not loose. Sounds internal, but the only time it i noticeable is just before the engine quits rotating. No electric clutch, but what is the internal balancer?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The other things that can go klunk are the PTO pulley and the flywheel.
The flywheel being loose usually causes erratic running so that leaves you with the pulley.
Take the belts off and then see if the pulley has any slack in it.
Start & stop the engine with no belts on it to eliminate everything else.
If it still goes klunk the time to pull the engine .
Take the flywheel off first, mush easier to do with engine bolted in place
Then clean the PTO shaft bright & shiny and pull the sump off before what was going klunk goes bang.
Goe to the B & S web page & download the IPL for you engine.
All the bits are shown & named.

When you get it apart, if what you are looking at makes no sense to you, take some photos and post them.
Plenty of people ere more than happy to explain what everything is , what it does & how to check it.

Rotoblade

Forum Newbie
Threads
The other things that can go klunk are the PTO pulley and the flywheel.
The flywheel being loose usually causes erratic running so that leaves you with the pulley.
Take the belts off and then see if the pulley has any slack in it.
Start & stop the engine with no belts on it to eliminate everything else.
If it still goes klunk the time to pull the engine .
Take the flywheel off first, mush easier to do with engine bolted in place
Then clean the PTO shaft bright & shiny and pull the sump off before what was going klunk goes bang.
Goe to the B & S web page & download the IPL for you engine.
All the bits are shown & named.

When you get it apart, if what you are looking at makes no sense to you, take some photos and post them.
Plenty of people ere more than happy to explain what everything is , what it does & how to check it.

Thank bertmobile 1 and others that offered suggestions, I wii check it out"

Rotoblade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Worked on the engine some today. Ran the engine with the belts off, sounded the same and pulley was tight. Instead of a clunking noise, after removing the hood and putting it up on the hoist, it seems more like a popping sound coming out the intake manifold. You can feel it by taking the air filter out nd putting your fingers by thr intake tube. It Also puffs out of the intake tube a few times as it is starting. Took the valve cover off and reset the valves. Intake was ok but the exhaust was fairly tight. Set them both at .006. Nothing changed. Seems crazy to me.