JD L130 mower deck

D Porter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere L130 that has a very noisy mower deck. Replaced spindle bearings and belt, checked all idler bearings but still noisy. The only other part of the mower deck drive is the electric PTO clutch. I have tried to turn the clutch pully with the clutch disengaged but it turns very hard and sounds like it is partially engaged. Is this typical?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Newer mowers have a brake built into the clutch so when you turn the blades off the clutch locks up and the blades stop spinning very quickly.
It is a safety thing to prevent idiot morons who should have been allowed to die at birth chopping their hands off .

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And when running the clutch is coupled straight through, no bearings in play there. My L130 deck is pretty noisy too, I suspect it's the design of the deck that transmits noise combined with the high speed blades. m

D Porter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I now think its just the drive belt flopping around causing the tension pulley to rattle. The belt looks like it might be separating at the splice joints.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might check the action of that tensioner pulley. The swivel point of the mounting bracket can get dirty, rusted, dry, and not let it follow the belt like it should. Clean and lube if so.

RustyCannon

Forum Newbie
Threads
What kind of a noise is it making? I know that engaging mine is very loud, but no louder than various neighbors with riding lawn mowers.

Mine started making a mechanical grinding sound when the spindle bearing for the center blade was going out. When that bearing finally gave up, I thought I'd broken a blade because of the vibration it made. Just replaced all three spindles.