Snapper Ninja Big 6 Hi Vac (with Briggs and Stratton Quantum Engine)

tomc1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper Ninja Big 6 Hi Vac (with Briggs and Stratton Quantum Engine)
I just picked this up. It has a steel deck and full bagger looks good. Before I start dumping money into it I am hoping for a little advice. I believe it has the Quantum Engine 6HP (12H802-1531-21). Oil level is good but dark, plug wasn't gapped right at .020, prefilter was missing, normal filter was used but I could still see through it. No gas was in tank.

The rope is tough to pull even if the plug is out of motor. Does this need a valve job or should I look for mice somewhere? Could it be a shear pin and timing is out? I guess I should make sure the blade is free and clear and not bound with rope.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well with the plug out of the motor it should spin over easily. Also possible the flywheel key is sheared, to see it you have to remove the flywheel nut. and like you said be sure the blade is free.
I'd check under the blower shroud and be sure there isn't any debris clogging up the recoil starter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also make sure the flywheel brake is releasing because that can also make it hard to turn over.

tomc1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
Life has been getting in the way but I got it to turn over a little bit easier using PB Blaster and an oil change. It's almost as if the cogged drive belt is causing drag when I pull the cord. The belt is hard so may need replacing. Two of the three top screws holding the gas tank on are stripped. Can I remove the cover using a wrench from the back with the tank still on? Don't want to drill out screws yet and don't want to replace metal cover until I get this running. Have a new carb because old one is not letting gas through to plug and it's easier for me to replace carb then rebuild. Saw gas in carb so know gas is in carb. Also needed a new primer bulb. Other one sticks inside when pushed. Now if I can find the time....

tomc1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
I now know why it wouldn’t start. The carb has 1 filter between the airbox and carb which is now fine. The O-ring between the engine and the carb fits around a (What I will call intake tube). That tube has a giant piece missing so there isn’t a seal. I bet this is why the pull cord is difficult to pull. It may have sucked that intake into the cylinder but not sure because gas tank screws are stripped in metal cover and can’t take it off without drilling. Can that tube be replaced? Or does it need a new engine?

12H802-1531-21 97012958

Snapper Broken small.jpg

tomc1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
It runs!!:thumbsup:
I replaced the gunked up carb, replaced the intake manifold, and did the general seasonal tune up (i.e. new plug (gapped at .020), new air filter, new gas line, new primer bulb, and fresh 10W30 synthetic oil). I also adjusted the starter cable and had the air box off and used two gaskets between it and carb, and just sharpened the ninja blade. In the end it needed loads of starter fluid and it started with a little puff of white. It now runs fine but is heavy. Though the bagger is useless if the grass is damp.