Kohler EFI

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Hi All,

So I'm a Briggs guy and have the EFI Technician Assistant software and diagnostic cable.

But I have a client with several Kohler EFI engines on their Scags and they refuse to use the Kohler agents due to poor service and technical backup.
I have dealt with Kohler extensively in their preEFI days so I know the brand pretty well and I know EFI. So I offered to help.

I managed repair the first unit by identifying the trouble codes via the MIL and rectified the problems; poor connection to Ignition coil 2 (cleaned connector) and no comm on CPS (replaced).

The challenge I now face, without the Kohler EFI software (close to USD700 from agents in South Africa), is clearing the trouble codes.
I have read the Kohler manual for the engine in question and Kohler offer a means of resetting the ECU and then re-calibrating the TPS.
There is one part of the procedure that is a bit vague and I for which I am seeking some clarity before I blow something up...

The manual says "Install red jumper from Kohler EFI service kit on service port". The engine does not have a "service port".
It then says "Connect white wire to black wire in 4 way diagnostic connector" That would be ECU reset to ground.

The second step is easy enough, but where is the "service port" and what is the red jumper connected to? Or by "service port" did they mean diagnostic port and the red jumper is what is bridging 1 and 3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe this is your answer

The second step is easy enough, but where is the "service port" and what is the red jumper connected to? Or by "service port" did they mean diagnostic port and the red jumper is what is bridging 1 and 3?

The red jumper wire connected the pins 3 and 4 together in the diagnostics port. The connect white wire to black wire is in parenthesis behind the red jumper, so I would say the jumper is what connects the white to the black in the diagnostics connector

The main reason for the jumper is so you maintain a secure connector for the duration of the reset procedure.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
I believe this is your answer

The red jumper wire connected the pins 3 and 4 together in the diagnostics port. The connect white wire to black wire is in parenthesis behind the red jumper, so I would say the jumper is what connects the white to the black in the diagnostics connector

The main reason for the jumper is so you maintain a secure connector for the duration of the reset procedure.

Thanks for your assistance ILENGINE. That is what I suspected but wanted to make sure before attempting it.

Luffydog

Threads
Paper clips are good to use for that jumper that way you will not damage the port and cause and bad connection. Don’t forgot about the reset procedure on the clock follow it and it will reset the ecu. But have to have the software to learn the history or currents and low voltage points.