2004 Scag Wildcat motor

36racin

Threads
New to forum and new to Scag. Purchased a 2004 Wildcat with what appear to be a bad engine(knew that when purchased) Mower model smwc-61v serial b610094. Kohler 27 Pro

Family- 5khxs.7252gc
type- e11*9768SA*2002/88*0280*00
model- CV740s
spec no CV740-0021

I see engines all over the place and prices. Have even see where the spec cv740-0021 was superceeded by CV740S-3110. Went to my local Scag dealer today and they told me the current replacement is a CV 742 model. Can anyone assist me with getting the correct info. And possible best place to purchase. I'd rather unbolt and put the new on right back in. Rather than attempting to rebuild the current engine, putting updated electronics, etc. I'd have the same amount of $$$ tied up in it and alot of work. While I'm replacing the engine and don't know the service requirement of these mowers can you also give me a rundown of what else I should service while I'm doing this work. Thanks in advance for all the help and patience..I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Thanks,
Todd

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I put the CV740-0021 into my dealer distributor site it supercedes to a CV742-3022

Romore

Threads
It is 15 years old, before spending money on the engine check the whole chassis and drive train for excessive wear and failed parts. Pay particular attention to belts, idlers, pivot points and the frame. Unfortunately you can't test the hydros without the engine running so that's a crap shoot.

36racin

Threads
It is 15 years old, before spending money on the engine check the whole chassis and drive train for excessive wear and failed parts. Pay particular attention to belts, idlers, pivot points and the frame. Unfortunately you can't test the hydros without the engine running so that's a crap shoot.
Mower ran enough for me to get it on and off trailer. Hydros appear to work correctly. Mower is in pretty good shape. Mower was used by the local fire department to cut the firehouse grass at 3 stations. I know the person whom had it and know he takes good care of his equipment. But I will be going thru things to ensure it's all in good working order. And want to service the whole machine so I'll know where everything stands.

36racin

Threads
What are other service items I should look at while I have the mower apart? I want to change the hydro oil and filter. Which filter and oil? Synthetic oil? Check all belts, blades and spindles.

36racin

Threads
Got the mower all cleaned up and now have the motor off. Motor was locked up when removed and became unlocked once it was off and sitting on the ground. Can turn over by hand. I did find the carburetor was about to fall off. No nuts holding it to the block. Not sure if someone removed it or not. Also after cleaning I found the hour meter. It is currently showing 675 hours. And I believe it is inflated somewhat. Since when I picked up the machine the key was in the on position and with a dead battery. So it may have counted some hours until the battery was dead. I'm questioning why the motor is having issues with that low hours. But that really doesn't matter and new engine will replace it. So I've found a CV742-3022 as was listed above as the supersede engine for this mower for $1600 and change.. No muffler. Does anyone know if a different fuel injected motor would work and what would be needed to install one of the injected motors??

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
First thing I'd do - just me - is pull the valve covers and look for a dropped push rod. Might get real lucky, fish it out, replace it, and have a good motor. At those hours with routine maintenance the Kohler should be in good shape. But bad stuff happens sometimes.

Luffydog

Threads
Possibly the clutch was locked up from the start

36racin

Threads
At those hours with routine maintenance the Kohler should be in good shape. But bad stuff happens sometimes.
Unknown the maintenance on this unit. But I have an idea. Knowing what I know now