Tune up kit from Amazon For Honda mowers

macespejo

Threads
Hi all.

Im just curious if anyone here used the tune-up kit from Amazon. Is it good or not? I know it is still advisable to use a genuine honda parts but just wondering because it costs like 23.89 only.
Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMHMS2X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1WGBZ4ZZEHDZ3&psc=1

This
Fit HONDA GXV120 GXV140 GXV160 engine
For HONDA HR194 HR195 HR214 HRA214 HR215 HR216 HRA216 HRC216 lawn mower
Carburetor Replace 16100-ZE6-W01 16100-ZE7-055 16100-ZE6-055 16100-ZE6-045 16100-ZE6-035 16100-ZE6-025
Air filter fit Honda 17210-ZE6-505
Package: 1 replacement carburetor, 1 ignition coil, 1 spark plug, 3 gasket, 1 fuel filter, 1 fuel line, 1 air filter, 1 clamp

Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well a complete carburettor & a coil are both repair items not tune up items.
Genuine Honda very rarely break down if you go through all of the posts in the Honda section you might be lucky to find more than 1 case where the coil has failed.
Likewise the carburettor rarely is worn beyond use.
The only ones I have even needed to replace were fitted to brick saws and usually that was from external wear.
Occasionally I do have to replace float bowl gaskets and a few fuel tap gaskets where the owner had been running e-10 through them.
So whoever put together that package has ZERO IDEA of what is needed to tune up a Honda engine.
None of the products are branded and a safe bet for anything is unbranded = trash.
The air filter could be good or the air filter could be one that Honda rejected as leaking how do you know ?
Genuine Honda fuel line is usually good for 15+ years
Do you know if that tube is genuine petrol proof buytl rubber or black geletine rubber that will go soft & fall apart in 3 months.
And finally take a reality check.
Amazon want $1.50 to $ 3 depending upon the volume sales. we will use $1.89
Assuming the vendor is making a 20% profit ( around 30% is a usual retail mark up ) that makes them $ 18.33
I do buy products direct from CERTIFIED Chinese suppliers who give me warranty and the carb with gaskets is $ $14.95. The coil is $ 11.25. the spark plug is 54¢ and from a different supplier the air filters are $ 8.42 in lots of 100 or more and from a different CERTIFIED supplier the fuel filter is 82¢ again in lots of 1000 or more.
So from a CERTIFIED supplier the above bundle is $ 35.98 + FREIGHT COST PRICE

OTOH I can get defective carbs from a Hong Kong supplier for $ 7.99 including freight.

Which one do you think is in the kit ?

Now if you picked your Honda up of the side of the road so it cost you nothing then perhaps it is worth the gamble that the parts are good and you will save $ 20
OTOH if the gasket in the fuel tap is made from neoprene & swells up then falls apart a piece gets stuck in the float valve holding it open & the engine fills up with fuel then bends a rod when you try to start it, then it wasn't such a big saving was it.

Australia sells coal, iron ore, bauxite pellets. copper , lead & zinc to China and of course gas.
They pay a lot more for these raw materials than the current world price because out stuff is very low impurity.
So they are paying more for their manufacturing inputs yet people seem to think that can sell a good quality finished product for the same price as a bag of air.
If some one stole all of those parts, shipped them to the USA then warehoused them for long enough to sell on amazon it would cost nearly the same amount .

macespejo

Threads
Thank you for the feedback. It is very useful.

HurstGN

Threads
So you're saying look for the bag of OEM, branded, true Honda air and we'll be fine? :laughing:

Seriously, good insight into what happens behind the scenes. :thumbsup:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So you're saying look for the bag of OEM, branded, true Honda air and we'll be fine? :laughing:

Wait? honda sells their own air?? no wonder my air filters kept getting so dirty, if only i knew... :mad:
:laughing::laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Seriously, good insight into what happens behind the scenes. :thumbsup:

We are by nature greedy & selfish, if we were not then some other species would be the dominant life form on the planet.
However some times we need to have a look at things that are way too cheap to be feasible.
Now if you were buying that package for a $ 100 Lonsin engine on a $ 150 store brand mower of dubious quality in the first place taking that gamble would be reasonable as the mower is very unlikely to run any more than 3 to 5 years in the first place.
But the Honda engine if properly maintianed will run 20+ years and was fitted to the most expensive range of mowers in the market.

In their efforts to strive for the cheapest possible price people forget that there is no factory at the north pole staffed by elves making what they want from pixie dust.
If consumers spent a little more time thinking about what they are buying and the costs involved from what they are buying then the planet will be a lot better place.
One of the prime reason why so many people always seem to be so short of money is they fail to look into the future and purchase way too many short life poorly made disposable products because all they see is the price tag vs their pay packet.

If the market in general bought based on long term service life rather than the lowest price tag then the entire planet would be in a far better state than it is right now and you lot for a start would no be getting 40 tornados in a week and we might end up getting some rain.
On top of that high quality long life products are a lot cheaper in the long run which means you end up with more money in your pocked over the long run which means that you can afford all of the other stuff like hedge trimmers, edge trimmers, chain saws, pole saws dedicated mowers & snow blowers that do their job excellently & effortlessly thus saving you time as well as saving you grief.

Australians have become so bad at managing their money and their lives that a lot of the charities are now forced to teach them basic life skills.
The 2 biggest supermarket both give away 4¢ / litre petrol discount coupons and people will sit is a 1 hour long que to save $ 2.00 ( 4¢ x 50 litres ) thinking they are getting a bargain.
The kids get bored so dad sens them into the petrol station shop & they buy 2 ice creams ( $ 4 each ) and 2 cokes ( $ 2.50 each ) which sort of negates the $ 4 he is going to save on his petrol.

Viffleros

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are entirely correct. Now the market is working for a low price and, therefore, low quality. And this situation is absolutely in any sphere. If earlier it was possible to purchase some product and it would have served for several years, the situation would be different. All products are somehow disposable. When I buy or order a product, I always ask the seller about its quality. But when a month of operation of this product passes, I understand that the seller brazenly tore me off. Even if you look at the products on Amazon, you can conclude that the more expensive the product is, the better it is. Therefore, when I bought smart scales, I took the most expensive ones hoping that they would last for several years.

Last edited:

olgeezershonda

Threads
You are entirely correct. Now the market is working for a low price and, therefore, low quality. And this situation is absolutely in any sphere.
Welcome to the group.

Just a heads up but you may not get a response from anyone as the tread is almost 3 years old. Cheers.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
The first word or name Hayskill gives it away, not Honda OEM parts.
Click on above for Honda OEM parts.