Couldn't get my D-series to start after running out of gas

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Couldn't get my D-series to start after running out of gas
Couple things. Check sparkplug, if wet clean it up good or replace. Give it a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole. I sometimes use a drill and a socket on the top flywheel nut to rotate the engine to start it up when it gets stubborn. Spins it over pretty good and saves the shoulder from pulling the rope.

kakerlak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Spent some more time with it after work, yesterday. I pulled the spark plug, to make sure it's getting spark (it is). I pulled and disassembled the carburetor and it was totally clean inside, jets clear/open. It gets gas to the carb, I can feel it suck air when you pull the cord (it'll suck my palm against the air filter if I put my hand up against it) and you can also hear what I always assumed were the reed valves quack at the end of the spin. It did start one time out of many, many pulls, but just ran a couple seconds and I couldn't get it to stay alive with the primer. By the way, that's how it usually was; it would start and then try to die and you could get it to surge back up by pressing the primer once. Typically, you'd have to do that 1-5 times before it'd level off and run on its own, but now it won't really even start.

So what's next? Should I buy a compression gauge and see if I'm wasting my time? Am I being dumb in overlooking something?

Lawnboy77

Threads
With no compression gage available then I would just remove the spark plug and put a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder and try to start it. The oil will temporarily boost the cylinder compression. If it cranks much quicker and runs good for a bit then that would confirm the marginal cylinder compression as at least one of your issues to deal with. Just remember that with 2 strokes you have cylinder compression and crankcase compression to deal with. Both need to be in specs to provide the power stroke and vacuum to draw the fuel in and to also expel exhaust gasses. Make sure it's breathing good to, no exhaust restrictions, check the ports for blockage. A restriction will definitely effect crankcase compression.

Lawnboy77

Threads
The D and F series Lawn-Boys were durable engines (in fact somebody is more than likely mowing grass with one now)

Regards

Jeff

Yes sir! I've been mowing this little D-400 with the upgraded dual bronze bushing, extended crankcase snout for a few years now, and if my knee will let me, I'll be using it again later today. If only these folks around here in West Texas ever used one they would be in love with them to. Maybe we should continue to keep them a secret so that demand doesn't go through the roof, along with the prices for parts? LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 20

kakerlak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes sir! I've been mowing this little D-400 with the upgraded dual bronze bushing, extended crankcase snout for a few years now, and if my knee will let me, I'll be using it again later today. If only these folks around here in West Texas ever used one they would be in love with them to. Maybe we should continue to keep them a secret so that demand doesn't go through the roof, along with the prices for parts? LOL
I would kill to have either a lawn or lawnmower anywhere near that clean-looking!