Should I be concerned? Found out previous owner had put Wix 51215 filter on hydro

RCountry2

Threads
  • / Should I be concerned? Found out previous owner had put Wix 51215 filter on hydro
Finally got around change the hydro oil and filter on my Silver Eagle 27/60 although the guy I bought it from said he just did them prior to be buying. I have maybe 40 hrs on it at the most since buying about 2 years ago. I spent heck about 2.5 hrs trying to remove the filters as looks like he had over tightened them and bet he also dd not put any oil on the sealing gasket and of course my filters wrenches did not work and using the screwdriver just ripped the bottoms off. Anyway should I be worried about any damage these Wix filters with a bypass valve could of caused? They hydro's are not that loud slight whine when turning but not louder when climbing up hills and pulls good. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Should I be concerned? Found out previous owner had put Wix 51215 filter on hydro
The wix filter lookup shows the 51215 filter for the hydro units so I would say they are correct.

RCountry2

Threads
The wix filter lookup shows the 51215 filter for the hydro units so I would say they are correct.

I have heard others comment that Wix shows it as compatible but since it has a bypass valve...is it really? Thought having a bypass valve on them is a no no. The original filter it calls a 68140 does not have a bypass.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Came across another site that the guy was talking about the same issues that you are having. He is using the wix 57490 filters which are non bypass 40 micron filters. Supposedly the Dixie filters are made by Zinga which according to their specs the filter even though is non bypass only has a 50% efficiency rating.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bypass only happens when the filter is so full the oil pressure on the supply side gets too high.
If the oil filter ever gets that full, the filter is the last thing you would need to worry about.
All the filter does is grab the non magnetic particles and drag them out of the oil.
Remember this is a gearbox filter, not an engine filter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also need to keep in mind that the only oil being filtered is the makeup oil. It is the oil that gets lost between mating surfaces, the oil between the pump and the motor is just recirculated between the two items. So any material or metal damage in that system gets pumps back and forth and that is what causes the damage. So if you have metal debris in the filter that same stuff has already been in the pump and motor several hundred times.

Of all the oil being pumped through the system the filter only filters a very small amount compared to the total oil pumped.

RCountry2

Threads
So I guess it really does not matter if it has a bypass or not and most likely reason why the OEM filter is non bypass is due to cost?