Craftsman gas mower with electric starter issues

nbpt100

Threads
I have a Craftsman walk behind mower (made by Husqvarna) that has a battery powered electric starter. I have a new aftermarket battery just installed.

I can not get the starter to start the engine on a cold start. It will on a hot start. It seems like the speed is not great enough to get it started.
The plug is a new Rj19LM gapped at .030. The air filter is new.

The carb was recently cleaned, the gas was changed and it fresh. The valve lash checked and the head cleaned of all carbon deposits.
The primer is working as I can see gas flowing through the jet as I push it.

The oil is at the right level. I checked the gap on the magneto.

I can start it with the recoil usually takes 2 to 4 pulls. It runs good once it is started.

I noticed this engine does have a decompression feature on the exhaust valve.
When I walk the crank shaft around it does seem to be operating.

I can usually get these quantum engines to start on 1 to 3 pulls. My biggest problem is the electric starter not able to start it on a cold start.

The mower is Craftsman Modle no.: 917.378381
Quantum Engine 190 CC with primer. I don't have the engine Number handy.

OEM Battery is made by DII. No. 71917189590. 12V 5 Amp Hours and the After market is the same specs. The physical sizes is nearly identical.

Any thoughts or ideas?

jp1961

Threads
What charger are you using to charge the battery (both volts and amperage)? Some walk behind battery chargers, charge at a very slow rate, so 48 hours wouldn't be too long to recharge the battery.

Regards

Jeff

nbpt100

Threads
What charger are you using to charge the battery (both volts and amperage)? Some walk behind battery chargers, charge at a very slow rate, so 48 hours wouldn't be too long to recharge the battery.

Regards

Jeff

It it the OEM Husqvarna charger. You are correct in that a full charge requires 48 hours. The battery from the vendor claims to be shipped with a full charge. Maybe not. Thanks.
Regardless of that it is not starting as easily as it should. Today it took me 8 or so pulls on the recoil to get it running.

To fully answer the previous question the Engine is a Briggs Quantum 6.5 HP No:123K05-0275-E1

The only other ideas that came to mind is a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or a fly wheel key that is cracked and the timing is a hair off. But it runs fine once running. They are unlikely but I will have to check those out with a closer look.