Kohler SV 720-3049 oil leak

Dredge Rat

Threads
I have a Kohler SV 720-3049 engine with around 230 hours on it and I have noticed it has developed a oil leak on the back side under the carburetor where the engine block and the crankcase bolt together. My question is how hard is it to remove the engine from a Husqvarna RZ4623 zero turn mower? I have a cherry picker to lift the engine from the deck of the mower and also is there a gasket between the two halves or do you use RTV sealant? Can you take the bottom half of the crankcase off without taking any more of the engine loose? Thanks for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler doesn't show a gasket so I am assuming it is RTV sealant. As far as how hard to remove the engine, That answer has about 1000 variables because of the number of different models with different assemblies to be removed and even then those items can vary witin models depending on year. The main things would be electric clutch and belts and pulleys and than getting around things to remove the 4 mounting bolts.

Dredge Rat

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I guess what I really was curious about was once I get the motor and clutch off can a person remove the bottom half of the crankcase to apply the rtv sealant and possibly the crank seal by removing the bolts to the engine block?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it is almost that simple.
Kohler have their parts & service manuals on their web page as a free download so that would be a good place to start.
Not mentioned in the manual
1) clutches are heavy and oft get stuck, do not put your head directly under it when trying to remove it
2) clean the PTO shaft shiny clean before you pull the sump off
3) measure the depth of the PTO oil seal before you pull it out so the new one can be set to the same depth
4) wrap the PTO shaft with cling wrap & lube it with silicon spray when replacing the oil seal to prevent the key way cutting the sealing lip or you will be doing it all again.