Tecumseh HM10 Generator Engine

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
With all the rain we've been having, I decided it would be a good idea to drag out our generator and run it for little while.

It ran fine the last time I used it.

This time, it would start (easily), run for a few seconds, maybe 10, then die.

I took the carburetor, which is single-speed, dead-nuts simple. The only thing I found wrong was the needle valve retainer clip was off and lying in the bottom of the float bowl.

Before I could get it re-installed, I lost it. I know it isn't that important, but decided to get a kit for it anyway. All a kit for that carb consists of is a needle, seat and a couple gaskets.

Reassembled everything, including draining the tank and replacing the fuel filter, started it up, and ~10 seconds later, it died. Then I noticed a sticker on the fan housing which stated that 'this engine is equipped with a low-oil shutdown system' so I checked the oil. Halfway between low and full, but just to be sure, I added a few ounces of oil to bring it up to the 'full' mark.

Started it up, and it ran until I shut it off about 30 minutes later.

Can't say for sure that the low oil shutoff feature was the culprit but it's something to check if you have an engine with one and it dies shortly after starting. Adding a little oil is a lot easier than tearing apart carburetors.

FWIW, oil capacity of the HM10 engine is 26 ounces.