need a mower that rides smooth

nodlenor

Threads
I'm 74 and have back trouble. The mower I have rides pretty rough plus my yard is rough. I would like to have a mower that rides smoother. Maybe with suspension or a good seat an done that isn't too hard on the bank account. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Romore

Threads
Unfortunately such a machine does not exist to the best of my knowledge. Ferris makes a commercial zero turn with suspension but it ain't cheap. Toro offers a Timecutter z-turn with a really nice seat, a bit pricey but maybe that is the answer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kubota do a range with rear suspension.
However that adds substantially to the price.
So your best bet is to look for a trade in or a used one.
The plain mowers with kawasaki or Kohlers are not to expensive but the diesels are priced according to their quality & longevity.

Dropping the air pressure a lb or two will also soften the ride
Most tractors run around 15 psi front & 10 psi rear
Dropping that to 10 & 8 will make a big difference to the ride AND TO THE CUTTING HEIGHT.

jp1961

Threads
How about a quad, pulling one of those mowers that has its own engine?

They sell different versions of something like this https://youtu.be/JIBxjHMMbc0

Heck if your fairly handy at fabricating, you could probably find a used mowing deck off a riding mower and just add a reasonably large engine to that. You'd just need a used ATV vehicle.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How about trying one of those girdle-like things that gives you additional back support? That would certainly be the cheapest fix, if it works.

Next, tire diameter is one of the biggest factors in ride quality. Our yard is rough, too. When I mow it with a Kubota L3000DT, I don't notice it at all. When I mow it with a Cub Cadet or Husky Zero Turn, I notice it A LOT. So an older tractor with big tires might work, if you can use it on your yard.

Or, farm out the mowing to someone else. It will eventually come to that for all of us if we live long enough.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

jp1961

Threads
I've had the misfortune of tweeking my back twice and mowing on my Kubota was excruciating, so I know where he's coming from.

With a self powered deck, you could pull it with a used golf cart, those ride pretty smooth.

Regards

Jeff

nodlenor

Threads
I currently have a 2002 John Deere GT 235 & and a 2010 Husqvarna 2554. They both have 12 inch rear wheels. The John Deere is the one that rides really rough. It only has rubber bumpers under the seat. A very bad design for such an expensive machine. The Husqvarna is a little better but not great. At least it has springs under the seat. I like to use the JD for mowing banks but right now the Husqvarna is broke down and don’t know when or if it will get fixed, so I’m having to mow everything with the JD. I’m thinking about replacing the Husqvarna but don’t know what to go with. That is why I was asking for recommendations. I don’t want anything over a 48 inch deck because I have some tight places that I can’t get with a larger one. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro My-Ride system is the smoothest I’ve found.