Mower deck Cutting too low

cozmicray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got a 2019 craftsman T 240 (MTD built)
less than 15 min bent blade (mulching kit on)
Deck dropped down going over root

Got another craftsman T 240 (Lowes exchange)

Deck height about 2 in grass cut with deck set all the way up at 4
cut sub terranian (dirt) at setting 1

Any fixes out there

What lawn tractor will give me good deck height?

mower_deck_height.jpg

:frown:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those setting numbers have no relevance to cut height, you would need to measure blade tips on level floor

1st: Are all the tires aired up to spec ?
2nd: Is the deck set up correctly. Level side to side, & slight bit lower in front ?

IIRC that has a fixed point on the one rear side of deck, & adjustable on other side, is that what you have ?

cruzenmike

Threads
Just got a 2019 craftsman T 240 (MTD built)
less than 15 min bent blade (mulching kit on)
Deck dropped down going over root

Got another craftsman T 240 (Lowes exchange)

Deck height about 2 in grass cut with deck set all the way up at 4
cut sub terranian (dirt) at setting 1

Any fixes out there

What lawn tractor will give me good deck height?

View attachment 44021

:frown:

It is definitely possible that your deck is not properly adjusted. Most machines in the residential category will cut from 1-4 inches which some topping out at around 3.4-3.6. You typically do not see > 4" cut until you get into higher end residential zero turns and commercial machines. I just purchased a brand new Cub Cadet (also MTD made) and it arrived .5" below what it should have been set at. Following the instructions in your manual you should adjust the deck side to side being sure that the ground-to-blade measurement matches that the deck height adjustment reads (or corresponds to; your manual should state this). Once you have achieved the correct cut height and the deck is level side to side, be sure to level front to back, with the back tip of the blades being 1/8-1/4" higher in the back than in the front. Once level side to side you should only have to do front to back using one blade. Lastly, set your deck up to the highest setting and adjust your anti-scalp wheels accordingly. I believe that by default your anti-scalp wheels will be located on the lowest holes when using the highest two cutting heights. At that point you should be cutting around 3.5-4" and should not be scalping anywhere.