HRC2163HXA propel not working. Possible leak below transmission found.

macespejo

Threads
  • / HRC2163HXA propel not working. Possible leak below transmission found.
Hello all,

I have an old HRC2163HXA honda mower. Engine runs good. Mower cuts great. Only issue is self propel just dont work. I noticed the transmssion has marks of oil below and looks like a leak. The drive shaft keeps on spinning when mower is running. The cables are all good and no damage.

I read all the threads like there are SB's related to transmission related to this but kinda unclear. I'm hoping. anyone can help me diagnose and repair it. I think its repairable but if not im just gonna sell it for parts.

Thank you.

macespejo

Threads
HRC2163HXA propel not working. Possible leak below transmission found

Hello all,

I have an old HRC2163HXA honda mower. Engine runs good. Mower cuts great. Only issue is self propel just dont work. I noticed the transmssion has marks of oil below and looks like a leak. The drive shaft keeps on spinning when mower is running. The cables are all good and no damage.

I read all the threads like there are SB's related to transmission related to this but kinda unclear. I'm hoping. anyone can help me diagnose and repair it. I think its repairable but if not im just gonna sell it for parts.

Thank you.

tadawson

Threads
If you are referring to the shaft coming from the engine, that is correct - it is hard geared to the crank and will (and should) rotate whenever the engine is running. Considering that the HXA is a hydrostatic transmission, and you see signs of leakage, have you checked the fluid level in it?

macespejo

Threads
I look into the fluid level and honestly im not sure if has fluid on it but there is a mark of fluid. Its so hard to tell it on the leveling stick on my mower.

macespejo

Threads
It looks like there in no tranny fluid on it. Does it mean the transmission is bad already? Does the rotating of drive shaft does not damage the transmission?

macespejo

Threads
IMG_3480.jpg

Here is the photo.

macespejo

Threads
Hello all, i did fill up the transmission with honda hydrostatic level and test it again. There is no leak coming out the transmission. Unfortunately, the drive shaft keeps on spinning still and self propel is not working when i push the fwd lever. What would be my next move here?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
have a helper engage drive & check cable for working properly at transmission, cable may need to be adjusted or is possibly broken inside sheathing.

have you tried raising rear wheels off the ground with mower handle & transmission engaged? are rear wheels turning? is driveshaft turning under cover, from engine to transmission?

Last edited:

macespejo

Threads
I did engage and saw the control arm notch hits the index mark as stated in the Clutch Cable Adjustment page in the honda manual Still no propel working.