problem with one wheel intermittently working and locking up

gk2680

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / problem with one wheel intermittently working and locking up
Hey There,

I have a 22" toro recycler model #20016. both of my drive wheels spin when I lift the mower off of the ground but after it's lowered to the ground only one will drive. I replaced the springs and keys on both axel ends and it didn't rectify the problem. When the mower is turned off the right wheel will lock if the mower is pushed forward, but this is not the case if the mower is started up and running. I can move the drive axel about 1/8" to the side just by pulling on it, not sure if this is normal or not. When the right side wheel locks with the mower off, if I pull the drive axel to the side the wheel unlocks and will spin. Does this sound like the transmission is faulty? I highly appreciate your advice. thanks!

gk2680

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / problem with one wheel intermittently working and locking up
I found what the problem was. The cable linking the drive handle to the transmission was sticking and causing the transmission to pivot forward and lock when the lawnmower was pushed forward with the engine off. I bought the lawnmower used and the previous owner removed the springs under the keys in the axel probably trying to remedy this problem.