New 2019 Patriot with starting issues

mark4470

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just took delivery on a new Scag Patriot 52” Yesterday. It has the 691 Kaw engine. I went to take it for a test spin as soon as I got home yesterday, I hit the key click nothing. Finally it started let it set for a bit went back out click nothing. I work the switch a few times and it fires up. So this was setting outside at the dealer I’m thinking maybe the battery is low so I threw the battery on my battery tender all night. This morning it fires right up. So I tried it a few more times click nothing again. When it’s running the battery was charging at 13.9 V. I’m thinking some connection is loose or a bad/sticking solenoid???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The solenoid is just a switch.
It is controlled by the one or two small wires at its base
One will be ground and the other is battery voltage when the key is in the start position.
The solenoid does not care which control wire is what but the mower wiring does.
If there is only one small wire at the base then it is the Battery voltage wire & the base of the solenoid is ground.

So start off by checking the solenoid by energising the control wires directly from the battery after disconnecting it from the mower.
If it works then check the control wires one should go + 12 V every time the key is in the Start position while the other should be either ground or open circuit to ground until the key is in the Start position.
If this does not happen then there is a problem in the mower wiring.

Scag are a bit protective of their IP so this is all very general.
If you want specific details like which colour wire does what we need you full model and serial numbers to download the information from scag.
While you are digging it out, grab your owners manual and write them down in the space provided.
That will save you lots of time in the dark with a torch trying to find the numbers in a few years when you need to get parts.

fadzaev2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why not just talk to the dealer, and let them figure it out. I just got a Scag Patriot, and that's what I'd do. EB

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
A one day old mower with starting issues is a dealer warranty problem, not something you fix yourself. Give them a call. If nothing else, you'll then know how good the warranty service is going to be.

mark4470

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did and they are swapping mowers out. It also was cutting out on some bumps. They couldn’t figure out why it was doing that. They let me have a new loaner Patriot with a Kohler. It had zero issues. So they are ordering me a new 52” patriot with a Kohler on it. The troubled mower had a fx 691 on it. They didn’t charge me anything extra for the new one. I should have it today or tomorrow.