hard starting question

corvairbob

Threads
i have a snapper push mower that is maybe 20 years old. i have not used it much because i got it for a spare in case my rider failed. 3 times i had to replace the flywheel key due to it shearing for whatever reason. they are cheap as hell and the next time i may just make one

but this thing has to be primed just about every start hot or cold, and it is had to cold start anyway. i need to keep the starting fluid handy every time i run this mower. so does this engine have to get the valves adjusted now and then like the sear rider does? i have never had the valve cover off it and had no idea the sears rider needed the valves adjusted just about every year. that one was a hard starter also.

here is the data on the engine for some to review and tell me if it needs valve adjustment to make it easier to cold start

Attachments

• 20190523_074049_Film4[1].jpg
    20190523_074049_Film4[1].jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 6

corvairbob

Threads
ok i went thru the manual you sent me thanks for that. i reset the valves they were way out. i cleaned and reset the mag. and plug. but it still is a bit hard to start. i can push on the primer bulb until i'm blue in the face and nothing. so i give it a shot of ether and it starts right up. i took the bulb off and held it in my thumb and pressed it and it has suction so it appears to be good. i blew in the ports on the carb under the bulb and did see a few places that shot out gas but it appears that this is just not pumping gas into the carb. should i be able to see gas in the bulb when i actuate it. yet it is red but when i took it off seems there should have been some gas in the area? i did not see any reference to this issue in the book. or i read over it. thanks much for the help.

ok the engine model is ovrm120 22010d and i need to find out if the primer bulb should have gas under it after i push it a few times? i can push it 20 times and it is still dry under the bulb. so the carb may have a blockage in it but i don't want to tear into this if it is normal to be dry after pressing it. thanks

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok i went thru the manual you sent me thanks for that. i reset the valves they were way out. i cleaned and reset the mag. and plug. but it still is a bit hard to start. i can push on the primer bulb until i'm blue in the face and nothing. so i give it a shot of ether and it starts right up. i took the bulb off and held it in my thumb and pressed it and it has suction so it appears to be good. i blew in the ports on the carb under the bulb and did see a few places that shot out gas but it appears that this is just not pumping gas into the carb. should i be able to see gas in the bulb when i actuate it. yet it is red but when i took it off seems there should have been some gas in the area? i did not see any reference to this issue in the book. or i read over it. thanks much for the help.

ok the engine model is ovrm120 22010d and i need to find out if the primer bulb should have gas under it after i push it a few times? i can push it 20 times and it is still dry under the bulb. so the carb may have a blockage in it but i don't want to tear into this if it is normal to be dry after pressing it. thanks

Sounds like you guys are on it. Your engine is starving for fuel. Remember the basics, air, fuel and spark. Anyway look into the carb throat when you hit the primer bulb. You should see a small shot of gas jump up into the air stream. I don't know about a primer bulb on a Tech, but if it's like a Briggs, there's no fuel behind the bulb. A Briggs is not like a 2 cycle weed trimmer either where you can see fuel inside the bulb. You might need to remove the carb and clean it. Get an ultrasonic cleaner and soak the carb. Or better yet, if available, get a new Chinese carb off ebay for $15.00 and call it a day. Those cheap new carbs are wonderful. Old carbs are not even worth cleaning and messing with. Most likely the throttle shafts and such are worn out plus other parts.......

slomo

corvairbob

Threads
Sounds like you guys are on it. Your engine is starving for fuel. Remember the basics, air, fuel and spark. Anyway look into the carb throat when you hit the primer bulb. You should see a small shot of gas jump up into the air stream. I don't know about a primer bulb on a Tech, but if it's like a Briggs, there's no fuel behind the bulb. A Briggs is not like a 2 cycle weed trimmer either where you can see fuel inside the bulb. You might need to remove the carb and clean it. Get an ultrasonic cleaner and soak the carb. Or better yet, if available, get a new Chinese carb off ebay for $15.00 and call it a day. Those cheap new carbs are wonderful. Old carbs are not even worth cleaning and messing with. Most likely the throttle shafts and such are worn out plus other parts.......

slomo

the primer bulb on my mower just doesn't work. may be a clogged up jet but i took the carb apart and i can't see a thing. pushed air into that port and nothing comes out. but anyway it was the valves that was the cause for my hard starting. when i took off the valve cover and checked the gap i had like 1/8" gap. it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that gap is just to much. readjusted that gap to .004 and it now starts up good and runs fine. the primer still fails but the girl said she can start it fine with the 3rd pull. so it must take 3 pulls to get the gas into the cylinder. thanks