New Acquisition: 21" Commercial Toro

hanyoukimura

Threads
You know, I'm trying to clear mowers out, not add more, but sometimes it's hard to pass up a deal ($10). It's a Toro 22621 Commercial 21" with a Suzuki 4-cycle engine on it. I've never had one before.

IMG_20190522_181430.jpg

IMG_20190522_203101.jpg

IMG_20190522_203115.jpg

IMG_20190522_181516.jpg

Guy said it runs and the drive works, but blows smoke.

He's right on all counts. It starts right up on the first pull, drive system works well, and it blows blue smoke.

Having known of, but not dealt with the 4-cycle Suzuki engines, I have to say, wow, lots of power! Between that and the deck, it powers through grass that would big everything else down. Didn't leave any clumps behind either.

So this brings us to the problem: it blows blue smoke, always some, but more under load. Oil level is fine, so am I potentially looking at oil getting past the piston rings? Something else?

I just looked at the cost of parts for this engine...yikes!

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll give ya $20. for it. That's doubling your money. Seriously tho, it looks good.

Not sure what grade oil it has been getting, but you could try a heavier weight to buy some time.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd pull the air cleaner off, unhook the crankcase breather tube and see if there's a lot of blowby with the motor running. From looking at the mower it doesn't have a lot of hours on it, and a commercial engine should have a cast sleeved bore. Heck of a mower, but I hate those rear discharge chutes.

hanyoukimura

Threads
I'd pull the air cleaner off, unhook the crankcase breather tube and see if there's a lot of blowby with the motor running. From looking at the mower it doesn't have a lot of hours on it, and a commercial engine should have a cast sleeved bore. Heck of a mower, but I hate those rear discharge chutes.

I'll take a look when I get back home Monday. It's quite a machine, would love to get it to stop smoking. I don't mind the rear shoots, they work fine when I do use them for bagging, and I usually use the mulch plug anyway.

hanyoukimura

Threads
Haven't got a chance to play inspect it much yet. I did change the oil. After doing that, for a few minutes it seemed to hardly smoke, but eventually it began smoking again, especially under load.