Mower deck Electric PTO Replacement for Warner 5217-25

alan8373

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Everyone - I have an ariens ride-on mower with a bad electric pto clutch. It's a Warner 5217-25 model which i've found online at a few places for $300+ - i spent much less for the mower and dont want to foot that much of a bill for this part. Does anyone know where i can get one for cheaper, or if any other models fit? I see 5217-xx Warner clutches for $100 or so but i'm not sure of the fit, or even if i could modify the mounts and electrical to make it work?

I'm assuming the electrical is all the same, just the 12V going into the unit to active the electro-magnet. And the bolt pattern and spindle shaft size would the other things to look at.

Any thoughts here? Does anyone also know if there's a mod or kit to replace with a manual PTO instead of the electric? I'd do either as long as its on the cheap.

Thanks in advance!
Alan

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The shaft holes come in 3 sizes
7/8" for walk behind machines
1" for domestic mowers
1&1/8" for commercial mowers.

What is different is the size of the pulley and the strength of the magnet.
Higher load need stronger magnets.
The other difference is weather they freewheel when off or lock when off.
The former are cheaper than the latter & get used on mowers that have an independent blade brake.

If you don't want the spend the money then sell it to some one who will.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like an unique clutch setup. I doubt there is an alternative setup that would work. The aftermarket I looked at was $370.

alan8373

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback... Ignoring the brake mechanism.. Which I've never had in a mower.. I could try to size everything and just find a direct fit replacement... Maybe I'll try that.. Will let everyone know!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Keep us posted.
I always felt that with a lot of them the main difference was shape & position of the anchor hole/ slot
Look for one that is fitted to the same or bigger deck than yours so its clamping force will be enough to overcome the shear torque applied by the blades.
Also triple check the polarity .
I had a customer who fitted an air conditioning electric clutch which burned up due to being wired backwards.