snow blowers electric start wont work

Paul C

Forum Newbie
Threads
we have a craftsman snow blower and the electric start wont work, it just whines.. The snow blower will work if I pull the cord.. So I know it is the electric start and not the snow blower. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Your help would be appreciated

Last edited:

webuyanymower.com

Threads
It could be the battery is a bit flat and does not have enough power to engage the starter motor or the bendix on top of the starter motor is stuck down and not engaging with the flywheel when you turn the key.

Paul C

Forum Newbie
Threads
so how do I fix this?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
As I said on your other thread, you will need to change your battery. Or at least I would.

Edit - Sorry, I don't think you did post another thread, I was thinking of a similar one. My memory seems to be having another off day. Been having a lot of those recently :laughing:

Paul C

Forum Newbie
Threads
not a problem, appreciate the help... The battery is fine I assume as the snowblower works when i use the pull rope.. but i will check it out anyway.. If the battery is fine then what is my next step? thanks:smile:

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Hi
Start by charging the battery it never hurts to start with plenty of power.
I would go for the bendix sticking first. If you can see it without removing to engine covers then spray it with a little WD40 or some aerosol based releasing oil give it time to soak in then try starting.
If this does not work then you will need to remove the engine covers to give you access to the starter motor when you have done this clean the top of the starter motor and rotate it by hand to make sure the bendix goes up and down give it a little spray of WD40. At this point I would pull off the plug cap so the engine will spin over but not start to test the starter motor is working ok by turning the ignition key.
If it works great put it all back together.
If not you will need to take the starter motor off and test it off the machine you can use a jump lead from the negative side of the battery to earth the starter and one from the positive battery terminal to the wire connection on the starter motor. I normally do this with the starter motor on the ground and with one foot on it to keep it still and just very quickly touch the positive lead on the starter motor terminal. Be careful it will jump around but you only need to try it once.
Chances are you will not need to remove the starter motor.
Let me know how you get on.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
not a problem, appreciate the help... The battery is fine I assume as the snowblower works when i use the pull rope.. but i will check it out anyway.. If the battery is fine then what is my next step? thanks:smile:
No, you are wrong there I'm afraid. Because it works with the pull cord, that doesn't mean the battery is fine. Pulling the cord to start doesn't use any battery power, as you are physically turning the engine by hand, and doing what the starter motor would do.