Blades Blade life

ejudgie

Threads
I have a Honda HRX217HYA with a mulching blade. Today when I went to get the 2 blades sharpened the service guy said that the back side of the blade (not the cutting side) was getting thin and so they may not sharpen it it. Has anyone ever heard of that happening to a blade? He said it had something to do with the dirt kicking up and "sandblasting it".

Thanks,
Ed

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What he is said is very true. I see lots of blades with the air lifts cut off. I have actually had customers where the sandblasting effect has cut the bottom 2 inches off of the deck shell.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Honda HRX217HYA with a mulching blade. Today when I went to get the 2 blades sharpened the service guy said that the back side of the blade (not the cutting side) was getting thin and so they may not sharpen it it. Has anyone ever heard of that happening to a blade? He said it had something to do with the dirt kicking up and "sandblasting it".

Thanks,
Ed

I don't think Mark has read your post properly.
As the blades spin dirt and the cut grass run across the top of the blade .
They then hit the flute at the back of the blade and get tossed up and out.
The spot where the flute just starts to bend suffers errosion from all of the stuff running over it and gets very thin eventually cracking and even breaking off.
I do exactly the same as your mechanic does.
When I feel that the bend is too thin I recommend replacing the blade and refuse to refit or sharpen them.
When all is said & done, if the flute breaks off & hits some thing or some one, it will be me that gets sued, so it is my call.

I am yet to come across blades that have been sharpened back to their minimum length before the flutes have cracked & the blades become dangerous .

ejudgie

Threads
Thanks for all of the replies. So for safety it sounds like I should get new blades?

tadawson

Threads
Sounds like a good idea, and it's not like blades are very expensive . . .

bogdaN

Threads
Here is little in put from Florida,every mower I work on need new blade.Sand in here killing mowers,also sun is killing Honda with the plastic decks.Yes lot of home owner park mower out side in Florida sun.

LMAN007

Threads
Makes you wonder why people don't buy a good cover for their mowers?:confused2: