variable speed pulley

slowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been searching on here for information on how to replace the variable speed pulley on a Bolens model 13am662f163.

Can anybody point me to the right posts/threads please?

Thanks,

slowboy

[new member]

slowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure, but I don't believe you understood my question.

I'm in need of information/directions on 'how' to 'remove' and 'replace' the variable speed pulley.

Thank you

NorthBama

Threads
not sure about how yours is mounted to the frame. Take the battery out if its under the seat and take a look see. First thing take the 2 belts off. since you are replacing the pulley go back with new belts and check the idler pulley also. After removing the belts just unbolt from frame to remove

slowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
not sure about how yours is mounted to the frame. Take the battery out if its under the seat and take a look see. First thing take the 2 belts off. since you are replacing the pulley go back with new belts and check the idler pulley also. After removing the belts just unbolt from frame to remove

maybe these pictures will help...Resized_20190522_151946.jpeg.jpgResized_20190522_152133.jpeg.jpgdavids mower drive belt.jpgResized_20190522_151958.jpeg.jpg

slowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I got the 2 belts off of the variable speed pulley...the pulley moves freely up and down, so apparently that pulley is not the problem and no need to remove, correct?
So why is the mower not moving in 1st-4th speeds, only 5th and 6th speeds?
Help...

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because
1) belts are worn thin
2) springs are stretched or have cut a slot in their mounting holes
3) pulleys are worn
4) pivot point on the tensioning pulley is flogged out oval because it has never been lubed

NorthBama

Threads
Ok I got the 2 belts off of the variable speed pulley...the pulley moves freely up and down, so apparently that pulley is not the problem and no need to remove, correct?
So why is the mower not moving in 1st-4th speeds, only 5th and 6th speeds?
Help...

Thanks

Ok spin the variable speed pulley and make sure the bearings are good and check the long belt idler. Install new OEM belts

slowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
is there any adjustment for the variable speed pulley -
the reason I ask is long belt seems loose...

and is there any adjustment for the forward, neutral, reverse shifter -
the reason I ask is that shifter doesn't seem to go into gear or neutral good every time…

and is there any adjustment for the speed shift lever...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the belt is loose check to see if the idler pulley tensioner arm is moving freely. The pivot point gets dirty and won’t allow the arm to keep tension on the belt.