Which Of These Lawnboy Models Are Good? Any Of Them Junk?

TorqueMonster

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Which Of These Lawnboy Models Are Good? Any Of Them Junk?
Thanks for looking at my post. As a kid in the early & mid 80’s I made a lot of money (as far as kids making money goes) mowing yards. We had a Lawn-Boy push mower. I can picture it but don’t remember the model number. Dad brought it home the day President Reagan was shot- I do remember that. I’m wanting to get back to having a good/ dependable/ old school Lawn-Boy for my push mower. I’ve got a few different Lawnboy mowers and was hoping that some of you could be kind enough to let me know which (if any) are worth working on and buying parts to get them going. I’d hate to put good money into a model that wasn’t one of the better ones.

One was my grandmothers. It’s a Scamp and I “think” she bought it in ‘86 (I could be wrong). It’s model # is 4505A. It has a stamped steel deck

Next is one that looks almost identical but it doesn’t say Scamp & the model number is worn off. Stamped steel deck.

Next are 2 that look very similar. One is model number 10201, the other is model number 10227. Both have stickers on top of the motor that say “Silver Series” 4.75 HP 2-Cycle”.

The next seems to be older. Model number is as follows- 0392A 8351 and the serial number is 9426282. On the front of the motor- on the plastic engine cover it says “Lawn-Boy/JCPenny”. It is self propelled by the rear wheels and it has a thick aluminum deck.

I want to go ahead and thank you all now for your time and assistance. If any of these turn out being worth having some time and money put into them where would you recommend I go for parts? Thanks Again!! Mark

jp1961

Threads
Hi Mark,

Any 2 stroke Lawn-Boy has collector appeal. I've always like the Scamp models because you don't see them for sale much on Craigslist (and they usually had a white shroud which is different than the lime green shrouds on most models).

Unfortunately parts are getting scarce for F engine Lawn-Boys, you can try the Lawn-Boy website for parts or aftermarket places like Partstree.com.

I've focused my Lawn-Boy collection on the Duraforce models which were the last 2 stroke models produced and even these are getting harder to find.

Regards

Jeff

LawnBoy4502

Threads
They all sound good to me! Which one runs the best?

jp1961

Threads
They all run good the F engine has about 127cc displacement, the Duraforce like 141 CC.

Regards

Jeff

LawnBoy4502

Threads
I can only speak for me, but I prefer the lightest weight mower I can find (non-self propelled). The duraforce will be easier to find parts for, as the previous poster mentioned.

Tough call. I would pick the lightest to use, and save the others for spare parts. Parts are becoming hard to find and the list of buyers is not that big so the prices for the parts aren't "premium" yet.

TorqueMonster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies guys. Only the 4505A runs at this time. IT starts up fine and easy but the idle seems lower than I remember for a 2 stroke LawnBoy. And once I move it through grass (and not even tall grass at that) the rpms slow down to almost nothing. If I did push it through tall grass it'd die. So I'm working on that.

All of the others are at different levels of condition. Can a fella remove the "self propel" parts and turn a self propelled mower into a good ole fashioned push mower?? I'm sure the self propelled mower feature has it place and certainly it's following but I'm not really into it and luckily don't need it.

ALSO, Are there any pistons and rings for the F series motors that are "over sized"?? I know that pistons and rings for many engines come in a lot of different sizes in case the bore is damaged to the point that it requires boring it out to clean up the wall. Just wondering. Thanks Again, Mark

jp1961

Threads
No oversized pistons were available for the F engine that I know of. The service manual just called for replacing the cylinder and piston, if they were worn or damaged.

Regards

Jeff

edporch

Threads
I bought a new Lawn Boy model 22260 commercial push mower back when it was the last year (2003?) I could buy a new 2 cycle.
It gas a 6.5hp Duraforce engine.
Used it for a few years, then put it away.
I recently got it running again, and it's a real cutting machine!
Starts on the 1st pull.
The BEST push mower I've ever had!

Last edited:

Romore

Threads
I miss the 2 stroke Lawnboys, simple, lightweight, reliable as gravity if properly cared for and a sound like no other. My first one came off the scrap pile, we wouldn't warranty it after he straight gassed it the second time. An hours work, a few bucks in parts and away it went. My ex room mate straight gassed it again so another rebuild. Finally had to retire the old girl, she was plumb wore out.