2001 LX277

mrvesper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I have a 2001 LX277. When I turn key to on position the starter engages, then the engine will come on and the starter wont disengage. I have replaced the solenoid on the starter thinking that was it, but it wasn't! I cleaned up some wires that showed a little corrosion, still same condition. Before I change the ignition module, can anybody let me know if you have experienced a similar condition and if you were able to fix it, what was your fix. The mower is just a 2WD mower, 17 horse...any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks all!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Model-LX277-Lawn-Tractor-Parts.html

remove battery ground cable for Safety then remove starter & take to your local auto parts store & have them do a starter draw test, this should be of no cost to you & let you know condition of your starter, if starter is bad purchase JOHN DEERE OEM starter. let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

that's why i suggested removing starter & having it tested being 18 years old, should not cost a dime to test & will satisfy curiosity & condition of starter.

Last edited:

mrvesper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Mark, thank you so much on your comments...I have had the starter off once to replace the solenoid which I thought was bad, had to remove oil tube too..it appears as though the bendix spring is working fine from what I can see through the window...dont want to just throw parts at this..if you still think I should remove starter again after what I said then I will...if you however have any other suggestion, I would like that too...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the control wire that goes to the solenoid.
It should so 0v to ground at every key position apart from start when of course it triggers the solenoid.
If not then there is problem with the mowers wiring.
Don't know what an LX277 is so can not look up the wiring diagram.
If you want any more help we will need the make of the mower and the full model & serial numbers , particularly if it is a JD as they regularly change wiring just to make techs rip out their hair.

mrvesper

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, thank you again, I will test it tonight when I get home from work and will let you know. I may have to do it quickly because the minute I turn the key position the starter comes on, the motor starts and the starter wont shut off, one hell of a racket it makes

mrvesper

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I checked the voltage going to the starter and it's fine....I was able to get it going by pulling the cable off the starter when the engine started, but I am afraid if I continue to run it this way I may take a tooth out of the flywheel.....How can I test the ignition switch?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the voltage going to the solenoid trigger wire only shows 12V when the key is in the start position and goes back to 0 when the key is in the run position then the ignition switch is fine as is the wiring and the problem is in the starter.

mrvesper

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK cool....thank you so much for your help..I will go ahead and test that. My question now is to test it when I just turn my key to on position the starter engages.....what I did was pull the wire off one the engine started. should I be able to just put a lead from my meter onto the disconnected wire with the engine running to test it. And, at this time with the engine running, starter wire disconnected, should there be 0 volts at that wire or 12.......?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
STop and have a little think.
I know we are not supposed to think now days, just do what Google says to do but use those grey cells.
When a starter is energised, the solenoid turns the power on then turns the power off.
When you connect a wire you turn the power on and when you disconnect the power you turn the power off.
Why would it make a fleas dongle of a difference which way the power supply is stopped.

Also note when i was giving instructions I used adjectives to tell you which wires I was talking about.
And with starters I like to use wire for the thin control wires and cable for the heavy power wires.
In your reply you simply say wire which means nothing to me.
For all I know you could be pulling the power supply cable off or the control wire off or the ground wire ( if it has one off ).

Being that it is a JD it could have a starting relay where both the + & - are switched in order to power the wire than energises the starter solenoid

You are standing there looking at the mower
I am sitting here looking at the screen so need to be told everything in a clear & unambigious mannar