Husqvarna YTA24v48 - Weird start and dies underload

omnimerc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

TL;DR:
After the winter season, I was cutting my grass for the first time this spring. After about 30 minutes, it just died and would not restart. I have performed season maintenance, rebuilt the carb, and adjusted the OHV valves. I can only start the engine by forcing the choke to full open and throttle at minimum. Dies under load. Any ideas?

I have a Husqvarna YTA24v48 with a Briggs and Stratton Intek V-Twin 24hp engine (44N877).

I was driving my mower, and everything was fine and it just died and would not start back up.

This happened after it sat through the winter and I figured it was just bad fuel.

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

1.Seasonal maint. (Spark plug, oil, oil filter, fuel, fuel filter, battery)
2. Rebuilt carburetor
3. Adjusted OHV valves

During troubleshooting, I have found that I can actually get it to start by manually forcing the choke to full open (take the air vane and push it all the way out) AND set the throttle to as low as possible, the engine will idle like crap for about 10 seconds and slowly turn up the throttle, and the engine sounds fantastic, as soon as I push the accelerator, the engine dies, if I engage the PTO for the blades, the engine dies, any load and it dies.

Any input would be appreciated!

PS - I plan on uploading a video after work today for this issue, showing the dying underload AND the weird way to get it started.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are 2 circuits in the carburettor
An idle circuit & a running circuit
Sounds like the idle circuit is fine but the running circuit is clogged.
Not sure of the actual carb you have but on several of them, the shut down solenoid blocks off the main jet & not the idle jet.
This would cause the symptoms that you have mentioned.

Some of the solenoids are polarity sensitive and others are not.
So if they are plugged in backwards they will not work.

omnimerc

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are 2 circuits in the carburettor
An idle circuit & a running circuit
Sounds like the idle circuit is fine but the running circuit is clogged.
Not sure of the actual carb you have but on several of them, the shut down solenoid blocks off the main jet & not the idle jet.
This would cause the symptoms that you have mentioned.

Some of the solenoids are polarity sensitive and others are not.
So if they are plugged in backwards they will not work.

Thanks for the tip. I checked the polarity of the circuit and it is correct (even swapped it to see if that changed behavior, it just wouldn't start after swapping it).

I got rained out so unable to take a video of the behavior yesterday, hoping the rain slows today so I can get that uploaded.

omnimerc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wanted to go ahead and bring this full circle.

I happened to come across the same carb for sale at a local group (Briggs and Stratton PN - 595321) that I paid $25 for.

Put that in the husqvarna and it works fine now!!!

Put the old one back in, same behavior. Weird.

Current guess is the plastic needle is swollen causing the bowl to not stay full when underload (this is an assumption based on logic flow in my head and I have no real evidence to support this claim).

Thanks again for your help!

paulbot

Threads
  • / Husqvarna YTA24v48 - Weird start and dies underload
How is your GT transaxle? That's the main reason I got the YTA24V48, tired of budget hydros going out on me.