Grasshopper Front deck HD forks

shuey79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a used grasshopper 721d2 -- essentially a 721d with a the g2 hydro units. The mower has a 9661 deck with some crappy fork and yoke assembly that came with it which are shot. I ended up upgraded the assemblies per grasshoppers parts diagram. I assembled it but do not know the torque specs for the top bolt and also want to know if others have grease zerk fittings in theirs fork housings because mine doesn't. Any help would be very appreciated.

Here is a link to the pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TCqFw3teKeUrufjy8

shuey79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Really, no one knows if they have zerk fittings on their grasshopper? I believe the assemblies that I upgraded to are the ones all new "out front" grasshoppers have.

ran

Threads
There is no grease zerks on mine.

ran

Threads
Looking at the owners manual it says nothing about the torque for that nut but it says it is a locking nut. I bought mine new in 2016 it has the 3461 deck and it says to torque the mowing blades at 50-55 ft. lbs. if that helps.

shuey79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks fellas, that does help. I'm now wondering why there aren't any zerks there. I guess it's the same config as the tail wheels then because they use the same bearing and no zerks either. I guess I'll pack them and forget about it?

ARN Greencare

Threads
Those are tapered roller bearings if I am correct. You need not worry about the torque on the nut so much as setting the preload on the bearing just like an old school wheel bearing. Pack the bearings with grease, then coat all your parts with a layer of grease to prevent rust and corrosion, set your preload, install your cap, and you're good to go...