Crafstman self propelled stops running

blendmik

Threads
Greetings,
I have a Craftsman 6.75 self propelled push mower. It's the Bob Villa model with "quick start" option that appears to not have a manual choke. and 22 inch cut.
I got it used and it ran perfect. Even ran with the old plug with fresh gas.
Then it would only start up at first and run for 5-10 seconds then quit. Now it won't even start at all.
I have replaced the plug, cleaned the air filter, and don't see any obvious leaks. When I push the prime bubble however, I only hear air being pumped. I don't hear the fuel in the prime bulb like usual.
It ran perfect after sitting for two years for three cuts then this happened.
Any advice or help from fellow Craftsman fans would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Very Much!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Post your model #

Sounds like a clogged main jet, take out the carb bowl bolt, which acts as the main jet, clean out the holes going crossways and the hole on top...
Should fix it.
61o3CLx1j+L._AC_SS350_.jpg

blendmik

Threads
Okay Scrubcadet10, I did as you suggested. Removed the bolt from the bottom of the fuel bowl. Used a fine wire and then compressed air and they weren't really dirty or clogged, but now they are clean.
I primed it several times and it actually started but only ran for 5 seconds or so. Repeated that several times and it starts but quits. What would be your next step ? Thanks a lot!

blendmik

Threads
Well first of all that was an excellent video and easy to understand so thanks.
I did everything like the video showed and said. Complete with removing the bulb, clean the screen and spraying all the jets. Now, the same thing. It starts immediately and runs great, then quits again after about 5-6 seconds, It's like once the fuel from the priming is gone, it dies.
It did start only after half a pull on the cord and very fast after the cleaning. Just won't keep running.
Any other thoughts or next step ? Thanks again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I wonder if your emulsion tube is also stopped up, thats what your bowl screw/main jet screws into. you'll see 1 hole about the size of the one on the bowl nut, and slightly smaller one next to it.
try cleaning those holes out in the same manner you cleaned the main jet.
carb_rebuild_13.jpg
click on the picture to make it bigger.

One thing i would also check to eliminate it is be sure your kill wire from your coil to your kill switch isnt grounding and killing spark while running. not likely but who knows.

blendmik

Threads
Okay sir that did the trick. Sprayed up into the upper section that the bowl jet does into and it fired up and stayed going.
Already did part of the lawn and now runs perfectly.
Thanks very much for YOUR personal attention Subcadet10. Thanks for the continued advice!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Glad to hear it!
Happy Mowing!!:cool: