Repairs Disk brakes - model 917.289253

KirklandMike

Threads
I'm trying to understand / fix the brakes on my Craftsman lawn tractor.

The understand part is that every place I've found pictures/video/instructions covers adjustments using nuts on a threaded rod - even the sites that show what appears to be the same brake assembly as mine. I don't appear to have this system to adjust. I assume this is because of the model with combined clutch and brake, but I just wanted to check to see if I'm crazy. Is this approach normal for some models?

The fix part is that I need to replace some parts in the brake assembly. I would probably replace the whole thing if I could find it at a reasonable price. I'm not absolutely certain if I have everything identified properly - mostly on the transaxle schematic on the Parts Direct site, but some parts may be on the ground drive part. Is there anywhere to buy a complete assembly? Less than the $67 that's currently in the shopping cart? I'll be double checking what I have chosen in any case. Are the parts that are shown with a single number with 2 pieces (pins and brake pads) indeed two for the price shown?

Without a rod that can be adjusted, it looks like the brakes are more likely to get out of whack - which is what's happened to mine - although perhaps if I'd looked harder sooner I might have found information about adjusting the disk brakes themselves (not user adjustable according to the manual), and had fewer issues.

Thanks
Mike

KirklandMike

Threads
Looking at your transmission to me it looks like an 800 or 820 series Peerless tranny. If you look closely at the side of the tranny, near the axles, you will find the model number. With that I can find you a good parts breakdown. This is a manual which might help. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Peerless-Transmissions-Transaxles-Differentials-Gear-Boxs/

Thanks @Rivets. It looks like you are correct about the transmission being Peerless. There is a sticker with the following information:

PEERLESS
Code:
Top line                Model   Spec 
Next line              H MST-206-565
Barcode
Next line              D.O.M.
Bottom line          0027B-0186

I didn't have a lot of luck with the link you posted. It looked like it is individual pages as PDFs. Some can be accessed, but some generate warnings of corrupt files. I tried searching different ways, but couldn't see anything about brakes or brake assembly.

KirklandMike

Threads
I had to put this on hold for several weeks. So naturally the grass is a jungle.

I figured out the relevant diagrams (close enough), took everything off / apart that I could, and cleaned. Where I'm stuck now is with the brake disk on the transmission which I haven't been able to remove. It's about 2 1/2 inches diameter, 3/16" thick

How do I remove the disk to take a look at the brake pad? I have a large gear puller, but it's too big to be able to get behind securely, and having 3 cast arms doesn't help.

Do I need a gear puller, or can I pull off the disk somehow using other tools without mangling the disk beyond use? If I need a puller, any recommendations for type? Obviously i can figure out the size, but some of what I'm seeing for small disks look like model equipment that won't be up to the job. Others are pretty expensive for what should be a one-off. Some places say a hammer could be enough to free it, other places have horror stories (about car brakes) such as the part coming off with such force that it went through the garage wall.

I assume that when this is done the disk should be able to move along the shaft relatively freely?

Thanks
Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Degreaser followed by some heat followed by rust remover .
Clean the spline as best you can, I use a cup brush on the Dremel tool.
Put some levers or wedges ( builders window wedges work well for this ) behind the disc to put a load on it the TAP ( not bash or smash ) the end of the splined shaft using a hardwood drift so you don't bur over the ends of the spline.
Tap the wedges in further then tap the shaft.
When you get it off, clean the splines & apply some copper anti-sieze before reassembly.
It is very common to find the disc rusted solid t the shaft as only good mechanics lube it during a service.
I am yet to find a "I service it myself "owner who has even seen the brake let alone lubed it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Finding penetrating fluids mostly a waste of time on rusted parts I made a puller to do mine. Mower brake pads can be made from discarded automotive brakes.

Attachments

• murray brake rotor  10-14-05.jpg
    murray brake rotor 10-14-05.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4
  • Murray brake  10-14-05.jpg
    Murray brake 10-14-05.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Murray brake pads 10-14-05.jpg
    Murray brake pads 10-14-05.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2

KirklandMike

Threads
@SeniorCitizen - that's given me some ideas - thanks. If I'm interpreting correctly, you tapped into either the disk itself, or something behind that could pull the disk forward. I might try wedges (thanks @BertsMobile1) or a pry bar before getting that drastic. Or, this https://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-type-wheel-puller-set-62620.html from Harbor Freight might do the trick in the 2 puller configuration - although the parts that fit behind the disk might have to be ground down because there isn't much room.

Fixing the brakes is the main reason for what I'm doing. The ground is very steep, and without any brakes I can't rely on the tractor just stopping at the bottom. And it's no longer safe on the driveway.

Thanks
Mike

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, drilled 1/4" holes and taped those with a 5/16" NF (fine) tap. Place a socket smaller than the shaft between the bar stock and the shaft end. Screw 5/16 bolts in evenly and you may need to graduate to a little longer socket as pulling progresses. That rotor must slide free on the splines and careful cleaning plus lube will take care of that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Finding penetrating fluids mostly a waste of time on rusted parts I made a puller to do mine. Mower brake pads can be made from discarded automotive brakes.

OOH, I like that.
Yes penetrating fluid is for things that are stuck, not things that are rusted together.
Rust remover is generally HCl based and dissolves the rust leaving a space where the rust was.
I am loathed to suggest HCl as of course it will generate Hydrogen gas , burn fingers and if it gets into the box emulsify the grease.
If some of the splines are very thin it might also remove some good steel.

Note I said REMOVER, not Converter.
Converters are Phosphate based and of course leave a thick coating of Iron phosphide which is just as good at gluing the parts together as the rust.

Grease & oils ( penetrating fluids are oils ) will prevent the converter from reacting with the rust.

And for the USA readers Muriatic acid ( pool acid ) is HCl of a lower purity which is why it is generally light green.