Tires Do I have the correct valve stem?

lkjhG1948LMF

Threads
I own a Deutz Allis 612H. This is the same tractor as the Simplicity 4212H. The valve stem leaks at the wheel. I want to be certain that I use the correct replacement valve stem. The leaking, Dill TR412 valve stem that I removed from the wheel may not be the correct valve stem. I have the simplicity parts manual and it says that the correct valve stem is Simplicity part number 2172353SM which has been replaced by STMCPTR41 SE. I have visited the NAPA website and looked for a cross reference. The Simplicity part numbers are not cross-referenced. Should I replace the valve stem with a TR412? Advise.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never heard of any rim that only works with a particular valve.
Every time I have come across a valve leaking from the base it has always been because the rim was rusted.
So don't be surprised to find a badly rusted rim that requires a lot of cleaning, rust converter and a couple of coats of a good quality enamel.
On a good mower I use POR base coat because the rim will never ever be able to rust again followed by 3 coats of enamel.
Down side of this is the process takes near 2 weeks because of the drying times.
On vintage motorcycles, they get POR enamel because it is so much better than anything on the market.
Mowers get outdoor furnature / gate enamel.

lkjhG1948LMF

Threads
bertsmobile1:
So don't be surprised to find a badly rusted rim that requires a lot of cleaning, rust converter and a couple of coats of a good quality enamel.

Bert: I brushed on several enamel coats and let the wheel dry for a week. I used steel tools [see attached] to mount the tire. The enamel was damaged. What tools do you use to prevent paint damage?

Attachments

• tire changing tools.JPG
    tire changing tools.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Wheel Painting bare metal 1.JPG
    Wheel Painting bare metal 1.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 2
  • Wheel Painting bare metal 2.JPG
    Wheel Painting bare metal 2.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Wheel Painting bare metal 3.JPG
    Wheel Painting bare metal 3.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Wheel Painting bare metal 4.JPG
    Wheel Painting bare metal 4.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Wheel Painting paint chips.JPG
    Wheel Painting paint chips.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like the undercoat was too soft
You have to put the enamel over bare metal.
The powdercoat most wheels are finished in is way too soft.
As for tools I have been using a Breezer tyre tool for about 30 years.
Google it,
They were originally made for fitting motorcycle tyres to alloy rims before the new alloy rim machines became available.
So it is a breezer FBH to knock it around the rim & lots of lube.

Brush applied enamel needs to be left in hot sunlight to fully harden.
Most people apply it way too thick

lkjhG1948LMF

Threads
Looks like the undercoat was too soft
You have to put the enamel over bare metal.
The powdercoat most wheels are finished in is way too soft.
As for tools I have been using a Breezer tyre tool for about 30 years.
Google it,
They were originally made for fitting motorcycle tyres to alloy rims before the new alloy rim machines became available.
So it is a breezer FBH to knock it around the rim & lots of lube.

Brush applied enamel needs to be left in hot sunlight to fully harden.
Most people apply it way too thick

Thanks for your suggestions. I understand that in my process the paint was too thick and the temperature during curing was not high enough. The curing time was specified on the enamel I used and was followed. The tools may not have been any more aggressive than the Breezer but I will have to compare the results on the next wheel painting. I will make a Breezer [http://www.dansmc.com/breezer.htm] if I cannot find one for sale.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for your suggestions. I understand that in my process the paint was too thick and the temperature during curing was not high enough. The curing time was specified on the enamel I used and was followed. The tools may not have been any more aggressive than the Breezer but I will have to compare the results on the next wheel painting. I will make a Breezer [http://www.dansmc.com/breezer.htm] if I cannot find one for sale.

What people forget is if you put a hard paint over a softer base what you end up with is akin to chocolate coated ice cream and the top coat will always chip off when under pressure.
Breezers were made from Aluminium if you make it from steel it will effectively scrape the paint off.
A friend made a 1/2 dozen in steel and they did not work.

lkjhG1948LMF

Threads
I own a Deutz Allis 612H. This is the same tractor as the Simplicity 4212H. The valve stem leaks at the wheel. I want to be certain that I use the correct replacement valve stem. The leaking, Dill TR412 valve stem that I removed from the wheel may not be the correct valve stem. I have the simplicity parts manual and it says that the correct valve stem is Simplicity part number 2172353SM which has been replaced by STMCPTR41 SE. I have visited the NAPA website and looked for a cross reference. The Simplicity part numbers are not cross-referenced. Should I replace the valve stem with a TR412? Advise.

I found a tubeless tire valve chart with wheel hole diameters and valve length https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=208