TimeCutter SS 4235 - Trouble Starting

json

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have done all of the recommended maintenance recently. Change oil, replaced air, fuel, and oil filter. Replaced both spark plugs. The battery is about a year old. Still it has a lot of trouble starting as you can see/hear in the video. I'm almost always eventually able to get it to start, but it can take a while. Any ideas?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never started engines with WOT unless I know for sure they're flooded. I use reduced throttle settings, somewhere between idle and half throttle. Ever engine will teach you what it likes best.

I also crank for longer periods, like ten seconds or so.

json

Forum Newbie
Threads
@cpurvis You're right! I went out there, pulled the throttle back to a little less than half, turned for about four seconds, and voila! Thank you so much! I almost took the mower somewhere to be worked on and I'm sure they would have charged me for something.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're welcome!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Starting a cold engine @ WOT is not my practice either, oil needs to get around inside first, & mine starts instantly.

+ I always idle mine down when done mowing also before shut off.

I hear a lot of solenoid clicking also, what's up w/that ? 1 year old battery needs checked, local Auto Parts can Load Test it for FREE. Just remove it & take it for test.

I start my Toro standing next to it, this way I can quickly give it a quick shot of choke if needed.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I hate the single throttle/choke control engines because I don't like starting engines at full throttle either.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hate the single throttle/choke control engines because I don't like starting engines at full throttle either.

Neighbor's Toro has a Kohler & it has that auto-choke deal. Don't care for it either.