Didn't Realize I Liked Green...

Joe In Des Moines

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All. I'm Joe.

I've always been the kind of guy that would rather fix or build things rather than going out and buying. I enjoy doing it and it gives me a great reason to buy all sorts of tools, welders, a lathe, and a mill. Since so much of the modern stuff is disposable, I really like the old stuff!! It may take a little more time and effort, but the end result is well worth it.

Since retiring a few years ago, I'm starting to get into small equipment. I've had my fun with cars, trucks, small /medium equipment such as skid steers & excavators, along with dump trucks. I enjoy tinkering around repairing or rebuilding lawn and garden machines.

I came across this site while researching info. on my Lawn boy mowers. Realizing these machines have a bit of a "Cult Following", and for some reason I dig the heck out of them, I decided to register and hopefully learn a bit more than my experience has already taught me. and maybe gain and give access to some needed parts.

I have a 5243 that my Dad bought new back in 75 or 76. I mowed with it as a kid, then he used it throughout his life, and now I've been using it over the past 8 - 10 years. After having to spend 10 - 20 minutes to get it started every time I wanted to mow, it ran half way decent. I decided that this was getting old, so I gave it a check up only to find that the old boy only has 25 - 30 psi. compression. Time for some serious surgery...

Since then I've managed to acquire the following machines.
7266 that a buddy gave me. (Needs work).

10201 Silver Series that I picked up off the curb. I used it as a mulch machine for 4 years. It ran great until a few weeks ago when I hit a chunk of Mulberry and now it's broke... Although I haven't peeled it apart yet to see what's wrong, I'm hoping to find a good V series engine for it.

10415 Gold Series that I find to be a bit heavy, but it mows nice and runs like a champ!

R8240 that I picked up off Craigslist. I was told it will start, but not stay running. I gave it a new primer bulb and fresh gas, and away we went!

Other machines are my old John Deere 111 rider that runs like a beast!Though I've never mowed with it, I just use as a tractor to pull the log splitter or trailer to haul stuff around.

I just recently acquired a John Deere 724D Snow blower. I cant say anything one way or another about it as I haven't gotten to use it.

I'm just finishing up an engine rebuild on my Husqvarna roto tiller. It has the Honda GC 165. I was tilling along when the engine started making all sorts of racket. I shut it down, tore it apart only to find that the connecting rod bolts had unscrewed themselves. After polishing the crank and replacing the rod, I think it's going to survive.

Well, other than the smaller tools & equipment, that pretty much covers the basics. I look forward to swapping stories and sharing information about lawns, lawn equipment, or what ever else comes along.

Have a great day!!

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

We're happy to have you as a member!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome aboard, Good stuff..