Who welds magnesium decks in NJ area?

kccamp

Threads
I have 2 LB's that require some deck repair. One from 1965 and another from 1972. Want to restore them but I am having trouble finding a local welder who will repair the holes. Any info on this or alternative materials that will work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

earthworm

Threads
I have 2 LB's that require some deck repair. One from 1965 and another from 1972. Want to restore them but I am having trouble finding a local welder who will repair the holes. Any info on this or alternative materials that will work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Hopefully your pockets are deep and your patience is long.
Or, try some epoxy.

kccamp

Threads
Hopefully your pockets are deep and your patience is long.
Or, try some epoxy.
Will epoxy work?? And not crack with the vibration? If so, that's what I'll use. I'm not that much of a purist. Just want it sealed and smooth. Let me know. Thanks.

Mower manic

Threads
How expensive is this place?? Anybody ever use them??

This is exactly what you're up against.....how much do you want to spend?
Epoxy is a waste of time. It will hold for a while if you do everything right. But soon it will crack and the your back where you started...except you no have to remove to epoxy...are you sure it's magnesium?
Welding Magnesium

kccamp

Threads
This is exactly what you're up against.....how much do you want to spend?
Epoxy is a waste of time. It will hold for a while if you do everything right. But soon it will crack and the your back where you started...except you no have to remove to epoxy...are you sure it's magnesium?
Welding Magnesium

Well, I've read from more than one source that LB made magnesium decks until approximately 1980, then went to aluminum. My 2 machines that need deck repair are from 1965 and 1972.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I've read from more than one source that LB made magnesium decks until approximately 1980, then went to aluminum. My 2 machines that need deck repair are from 1965 and 1972.

I'm pretty sure that the LB decks are an AL/MG alloy. Pure aluminum is way too soft and magnesium is very brittle in its pure form. You will find someone who can fix it if you call around but it won't be cheap -- working with those metals is a specialty.

I'd bet that the most economical way to go is keep looking (CraigsList, etc.) for old LB mowers and you'll eventually come across one with a good deck at a good price -- and you'll get a bunch of extra parts thrown in. :biggrin: