bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was a question not a suggestion. I despise social media. And I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth or lecturing me. It was a simple yes or no question.

Lecture ?
You asked if there was a like button & got told how to like or dislike a post.
This was on the assumption that you wanted to do just that otherwise the question was pointless.

If you despise social media, then you have a friend right here.
However I fail to understand why some one who dislikes social media wants to know about the actual thing that is the primary driver of social media ; like/dislike.

Replies to posts should either ask to clarify the original question or provide a solution.
Replies to replies on most sections here should either expand / clarify the reply or contradict the reply with reasons.

If a repair or repair work around , service tip etc takes your fancy then you are more than welcome to post a Thank-you, I like / can use that / will save time / will it work on an XYZ ? etc etc.
This is of great benefit to future users who come across the thread.
However if some one comes on strongly trashig a particular brand of engine / mower/ oil / shop then every one how has had a problem with the same thing will feel obliged to "like" the post.
This then adds weight to a rant post that in reality should be removed and creates a false belief that all XYZ are trash & must be avoided.
Regular posters actually appreciate a simple thank you but I doubt any of us appreciate being "liked"

1bert1

Threads
Lecture ?
You asked if there was a like button & got told how to like or dislike a post.
This was on the assumption that you wanted to do just that otherwise the question was pointless.

If you despise social media, then you have a friend right here.
However I fail to understand why some one who dislikes social media wants to know about the actual thing that is the primary driver of social media ; like/dislike.

Replies to posts should either ask to clarify the original question or provide a solution.
Replies to replies on most sections here should either expand / clarify the reply or contradict the reply with reasons.

If a repair or repair work around , service tip etc takes your fancy then you are more than welcome to post a Thank-you, I like / can use that / will save time / will it work on an XYZ ? etc etc.
This is of great benefit to future users who come across the thread.
However if some one comes on strongly trashig a particular brand of engine / mower/ oil / shop then every one how has had a problem with the same thing will feel obliged to "like" the post.
This then adds weight to a rant post that in reality should be removed and creates a false belief that all XYZ are trash & must be avoided.
Regular posters actually appreciate a simple thank you but I doubt any of us appreciate being "liked"

The reason for likes on a forum like this one is to save bandwidth. It also saves the forum Admin or whoever is paying for the bandwidth and renting the server money. It can also keep the server from crashing. The forum I am a member of that I can use as a good example is American Weather. I live in the southeast US. There is a sub forum called Southeast US. It is a meteorological site. It does not snow much down here in SE US. So, when the computer models show a SE snowstorm out 10 days someone starts a thread. Winter Storm 1/19-1/21? People start posting in that thread. As the computer models start predicting the same event, people like me that love a good snowstorm, start watching and posting and if most of the models agree that it is going to happen people that are watching grows. The number of people logged in will explode. I have seen over 1000 people logged in at the same time. Once the initial thread goes to its page limit of 50, it rolls over to a new thread. I have seen over 200 pages before.

When someone, say me, has not been on the forum for an afternoon, I don't go to the last page, I go to where I left off and scan through to see what the models are predicting. Other people are at the last page and are constantly hitting the refresh button to see if there is a new post. If it is a big storm that the computer models are now in agreement there are so many people reloading web pages, posting what they think, agreeing with what this person says, etc, that the entire server cant handle the bandwidth and it starts to get slow, not just the SE section, all sections. So the admins added a like button so if a meteorologist posts, or someone else that understands the model runs, you can like his comment instead of creating a new comment that the server will have to deal with and when there are a lot of people commenting it can crash the server. So adding the like button was used to save bandwidth. It was a rule. You could get banned if the thread was in "storm mode" and someone asked how much do you think it will snow in Boonedock, Alabama. When the server is in storm mode someone can only post weather information and no IMBY "In My Back Yard questions".

All forums have rules. Some are not in the "Read me" section yet. Anyone new on American Weather during heavy load times that ask "How Much snow for me?" questions or "I agree with him" comments were warned once. People where also encouraged to use the like button instead of replying that you agree. On most forums it is used to save money.

As far as social media, I delete all of those programs off every phone I get. It is sad to see an entire family sitting in a restaurant and everyone is glued to their phone. I am a member of any forum to ask and to give back... Peace!

Bert

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert,
I can see where you are coming from , but the weather forum is a substantially different animal to a mower repair forum.
You are not going to get more hits on the servers than they can handle on any mower forum.
What gobbles band with is complicated graphics that require several Flash routines and stupid things like animation.
Even worse is then they are sequential .
AFAIK this forum uses cookies and simply loads them on your computer so it knows where you were.
That is how the "Since My last visit" feature works.
Others read your cashe to work out what you have seen already.
The server KNOWS what you have looked at because it tags the file on the server the instant you open the window.
You do not need to do anything, but if you do, that gets logged as well.

Unlike the weather which is a real time event, this forum is nothing more than a library, with each thread being a book in that library.
The only difference is they want you to add to each volume so the librarian does not wrap your knuckles with her ruler if she catches you writing in the margins.

The big killer here was when they subscribed to Google adds which did interrogate your browsing history and location in order to load adds that you are interested in and are local.
I noticed this because it perpetually froze my computer.

Then you have things like irrational emotions so if you feel I have insulted or humiliated you , you get your revenge by looking up my posts then dislike each and ever one of them.
This serves no beneficial purpose to any one other than dropping your stress levels.
It does not mean a post was any more or less accurate than any other post and the whole ideal of this forum is to disseminate information to people who need to know the information, not how popular the poster who wrote it was.
As previously mentioned it also distorts the preception of the accuracy of the information provided by the post.
And liking does not equate to agreeing.
Being a strait talking Australian I manage to rub the false politeness segment up the wrong way quite easily.
I don't recall ever being deliberately abusive but am regularly accused of doing so .
So then the "politeness police" feel the need to disslike everything I have posted because they do not like me as a person.

IF the admin feel the need to add such a feature, then an :"AGREE" button would be a lot better than an LIKE button but again , just because 50,000,000 flies eat poo does not mean we should do the same .

The real benefit of an open public forum like this is that people who have fixed the same problem or think they know how to fix the problem can present their repair.
The person with the problem then has to think in order to decide which of the proposed repairs best suits THEM, not just pick the one that is the most popular in a brain dead stupor .

1bert1

Threads
Bert,
I can see where you are coming from , but the weather forum is a substantially different animal to a mower repair forum.
You are not going to get more hits on the servers than they can handle on any mower forum.
What gobbles band with is complicated graphics that require several Flash routines and stupid things like animation.
Even worse is then they are sequential .
AFAIK this forum uses cookies and simply loads them on your computer so it knows where you were.
That is how the "Since My last visit" feature works.
Others read your cashe to work out what you have seen already.
The server KNOWS what you have looked at because it tags the file on the server the instant you open the window.
You do not need to do anything, but if you do, that gets logged as well.

Unlike the weather which is a real time event, this forum is nothing more than a library, with each thread being a book in that library.
The only difference is they want you to add to each volume so the librarian does not wrap your knuckles with her ruler if she catches you writing in the margins.

The big killer here was when they subscribed to Google adds which did interrogate your browsing history and location in order to load adds that you are interested in and are local.
I noticed this because it perpetually froze my computer.

Then you have things like irrational emotions so if you feel I have insulted or humiliated you , you get your revenge by looking up my posts then dislike each and ever one of them.
This serves no beneficial purpose to any one other than dropping your stress levels.
It does not mean a post was any more or less accurate than any other post and the whole ideal of this forum is to disseminate information to people who need to know the information, not how popular the poster who wrote it was.
As previously mentioned it also distorts the preception of the accuracy of the information provided by the post.
And liking does not equate to agreeing.
Being a strait talking Australian I manage to rub the false politeness segment up the wrong way quite easily.
I don't recall ever being deliberately abusive but am regularly accused of doing so .
So then the "politeness police" feel the need to disslike everything I have posted because they do not like me as a person.

IF the admin feel the need to add such a feature, then an :"AGREE" button would be a lot better than an LIKE button but again , just because 50,000,000 flies eat poo does not mean we should do the same .

The real benefit of an open public forum like this is that people who have fixed the same problem or think they know how to fix the problem can present their repair.
The person with the problem then has to think in order to decide which of the proposed repairs best suits THEM, not just pick the one that is the most popular in a brain dead stupor .

Bert, I thought that I might have misunderstood you. My father was in the air force and came to Australia for 2 weeks in 1963. He said that after they landed his squadron was briefed about some words that Americans use all the time but they could be offensive to Australians. So maybe some word or whatever came across like that. The point is I am 50 years old and life is too short to hold grudges and worry about what others think of me. I am an easy going guy that liked this forum and wanted to join. Every forum has rules, some are unwritten. I was just scoping it out. I have no ill will toward anyone and am glad I found this forum and looking forward to learning and helping others.
I also agree with you about the like button. Agree sounds good and on the CamaroZ28 forum they use Helpful. Peace to you and I believe that we would agree on most subjects. Peace

Bert

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, I thought that I might have misunderstood you. My father was in the air force and came to Australia for 2 weeks in 1963. He said that after they landed his squadron was briefed about some words that Americans use all the time but they could be offensive to Australians. So maybe some word or whatever came across like that. The point is I am 50 years old and life is too short to hold grudges and worry about what others think of me. I am an easy going guy that liked this forum and wanted to join. Every forum has rules, some are unwritten. I was just scoping it out. I have no ill will toward anyone and am glad I found this forum and looking forward to learning and helping others.
I also agree with you about the like button. Agree sounds good and on the CamaroZ28 forum they use Helpful. Peace to you and I believe that we would agree on most subjects. Peace

Bert

:thumbsup:
FWIW I will be 68 this year , good Lord & the NSW police force willing.
We used to be fairly thick skinned down here but that like a lot of things is rapidly changing.
Enjoy your stay.
I post here because it is by far the best technically orientated general mower forum on the net .

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup:
FWIW I will be 68 this year , good Lord & the NSW police force willing.
We used to be fairly thick skinned down here but that like a lot of things is rapidly changing.
Enjoy your stay.
I post here because it is by far the best technically orientated general mower forum on the net .

I agree with you Bert, this is the place for serious tech talk, help & etc...