Cannot get splined yoke off PTO shaft on 722d front mount

bozoc

Threads
  • / Cannot get splined yoke off PTO shaft on 722d front mount
While mowing yesterday the yoke with the sleeve that connects to the front mount mower broke. What was left was the square shaft that fits inside the sleeve and connects to the mower deck. That part looks fine. I decided to order the yoke and sleeve assembly as all that was left was the splined yoke and it needed bearings. I went to unhook the splined yoke at the PTO shaft and it would not budge. I used about a can of PB Blaster. lol Since I am going to replace the splined yoke I didn't care if I damaged it further trying to get the damn thing unhooked as long as I didn't damage the PTO shaft itself. I removed the spring and I didn't see any steel balls. The thing still won't budge. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about a propane torch to heat it. Good or bad idea?

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

I can't speak for Grasshopper, but Kubota uses a sleeve that pulls forward to release the splined PTO shaft (works sort of like a quick disconnect air fitting).

Regards

Jeff

bozoc

Threads
Hello,

I can't speak for Grasshopper, but Kubota uses a sleeve that pulls forward to release the splined PTO shaft (works sort of like a quick disconnect air fitting).

Regards

Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. The Grasshopper works the same way. My problem is I can't get the splined yoke to release. It is a 2006 and I have owned it since new. The yoke has never been taken off in all these years and now it acts like it is spot-welded to the shaft. :laughing: Trying to figure a way to get it off without damaging the pto shaft. The yoke itself will be replaced if I can get the old one off. The cross bearing is shot so I'm not going to replace it I will just use a new yoke with new bearings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Degreaser heat more degreaser more heat crowbars, heat , degreaser
Seriously that is the way to go.
I use an air hammer because 30,000 little taps a minute works a lot better than smacking your knuckles with a big hammer.
And a bit late now but your manual should mention greasing the spline every season.

bozoc

Threads
Degreaser heat more degreaser more heat crowbars, heat , degreaser
Seriously that is the way to go.
I use an air hammer because 30,000 little taps a minute works a lot better than smacking your knuckles with a big hammer.
And a bit late now but your manual should mention greasing the spline every season.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I left lots of PB Blaster on it when I stopped messing with it late this afternoon. I'll start with the heat tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I left lots of PB Blaster on it when I stopped messing with it late this afternoon. I'll start with the heat tomorrow.

Most penetrants work best if the parts are degreased first.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WD 40 is nothing more than a dewatering fluid which is what it was designed to do.

A can of spray on degreaser is not expensive.
Have a little play with them in the auto parts / hardwear shop to find one that can fit a WD 40 type long nozel and use that to spray the degreaser up the splines
When the local junk car parts store has them on special I buy several cartons.

bozoc

Threads
WD 40 is nothing more than a dewatering fluid which is what it was designed to do.

A can of spray on degreaser is not expensive.
Have a little play with them in the auto parts / hardwear shop to find one that can fit a WD 40 type long nozel and use that to spray the degreaser up the splines
When the local junk car parts store has them on special I buy several cartons.

WD-40 makes a degreaser. Didn't know if it was any good or not. I picked up something from the local auto parts store today that they recommended. Great idea to use the long nozzle to spray up the splines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Penetrating fluids work by chemically reacting with corrosion .
Grease prevents that happening.
AFAIK there is no WD 40 degreaser sold down here, just the normal goo & a slilcon spray, hence the response on WD 40.

I am no fan of either of them.
Not the fault of the product, the fault of the advertising telling people WD 40 will do everything short of cooking your dinner.
Thus I see lots of trashed mowers where the owners religiously sprayed WD 40 everywhere the manual says to lube.
Then then abuse me when I show then a flogged out deck linkage due to lack of proper lubrication.