Cannot get splined yoke off PTO shaft on 722d front mount

bozoc

Threads
  • / Cannot get splined yoke off PTO shaft on 722d front mount
Penetrating fluids work by chemically reacting with corrosion .
Grease prevents that happening.
AFAIK there is no WD 40 degreaser sold down here, just the normal goo & a slilcon spray, hence the response on WD 40.

I am no fan of either of them.
Not the fault of the product, the fault of the advertising telling people WD 40 will do everything short of cooking your dinner.
Thus I see lots of trashed mowers where the owners religiously sprayed WD 40 everywhere the manual says to lube.
Then then abuse me when I show then a flogged out deck linkage due to lack of proper lubrication.

This is no joke. I have heard of people spraying wd-40 on arthritic elbows, knees, etc.:laughing: I'm not a big fan of it. There is no substitute for good grease.

bozoc

Threads
Degreaser heat more degreaser more heat crowbars, heat , degreaser
Seriously that is the way to go.
I use an air hammer because 30,000 little taps a minute works a lot better than smacking your knuckles with a big hammer.
And a bit late now but your manual should mention greasing the spline every season.

Thanks to bertmobile1 I solved my problem. Two days of degreaser, heat and a hammer softened it up enough to get it off with a wheel puller. Don't think anything was damaged in the process. New parts should be here Monday. Thanks bert!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Excellent.
So at the end of the season you now know why the coupling should be undone, greased & reassembled.
If your rear wheels sit on a single bolt axel then the same should be done with them.

Enjoy your mowing and feel good about getting the job done yourself.

bozoc

Threads
Excellent.
So at the end of the season you now know why the coupling should be undone, greased & reassembled.
If your rear wheels sit on a single bolt axel then the same should be done with them.

Enjoy your mowing and feel good about getting the job done yourself.

Thanks Bert. You can bet I will be more conscious about greasing in the future!