Cordless Lawn Mower & battery pack comparision charts

MowerMike

Threads
  • / Cordless Lawn Mower & battery pack comparision charts
I just don't get the option to change the ".txt" to something else when I open or try to save these documents.

as I said before, I just don't get the option to change the ".txt" to something else when I open or try to save / rename these documents.

I did try re-naming by adding a ".xls" to the end of one of them, but it just became part of the name instead of changing the file type.

I also have Win XP & 7 computers here at work and could not change the file type in these systems either.

Doug

Did you try changing the extension from txt to ods ? Note, you must change the extension, not just add to it. So filename.txt becomes filename.ods, not filename.txt.ods. Anyways, I was able to change it to filename.ods, then double click on the file and it opened properly in Excel. As soon as I changed the extension to ods, the file was flagged in my file manager as an Excel type. I then closed it immediately when it asked me to activate Excel using my MS account name, which would have resulted in money being sucked out of my bank account.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
OK. So I just fired the old XP computer, transferred the files with the .ods extension to its hard drive, and successfully opened them using Excel in MS Office Home and Student Edition 2007. In both cases Excel reported that some portions of the spreadsheet were unreadable, and offered to repair them. Once open, a few cells appeared with ? marks, which I assume was the unreadable/undecipherable data. I then saved them as Excel workbooks with the extension .xlsx.

dougmacm

Threads
Did you try changing the extension from txt to ods ? Note, you must change the extension, not just add to it. So filename.txt becomes filename.ods, not filename.txt.ods. Anyways, I was able to change it to filename.ods, then double click on the file and it opened properly in Excel. As soon as I changed the extension to ods, the file was flagged in my file manager as an Excel type. I then closed it immediately when it asked me to activate Excel using my MS account name, which would have resulted in money being sucked out my bank account.

OK … figured it out … had to edit "file folder options" to include ".xxx" extensions which was not selected before.

Once I did this, I could edit the .xxx and then was able to open in Excel.

I've built a few computers from scratch and always got them up and running. I'm good with hardware but I'm not a windows or windows based software expert, know just enough to get by. Never had any reason to do this before so never messed around with folder options before either.

Thanks Mike as well as Bruce for putting these spreadsheets together.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
Glad you figured this out. This is not so much a Windows thing, but more a manual file management thing that harkens back to the pre-Windows days of DOS. I too used to build all my desktop computers, but more recently have just purchased pre-built PCs with pre-loaded software, because it's such a pain to load and install Windows. At work I did a lot of programming in DOS mode, and when I retired 10 years ago, was still using Windows 98SE, which can be run in native DOS mode. I use a file manager named PowerDesk Pro 9, which is much better than the crappy File Explorer that comes with Windows. It makes all these operations much simpler and has a lot of built-in utilities such as file unzipping and viewing. I detest MS Office, and have always used Corel Office instead, except in rare cases like this where I'm forced to use MS Office. Having said that, once I converted these files to a valid Excel format, I was able to transfer them back to my new PC and open them without any drama in Corel Quattro Pro. Of course, when it comes to web browsing activities, using the newest versions of Windows is pretty much mandatory, and I mostly use my old XP computer offline. It is also unable to perform certain tasks such as tax preparation, since TurboTax stopped supporting Win XP 4 years ago, Vista 2 years ago and no doubt support for Win 7 will be next. Sigh.

dougmacm

Threads
COMPARISON SPECS not in your spreadsheet but maybe the most worthwhile comparison:

"Battery Weight per Watt Hour"

since many of these mfr's are fudging their voltage, (I.E. Ryobi & GW 40V is really 36V … Kobalt & GW 80V is really 72V, etc.) , I thought this would really be the ultimate comparison, so I did some calculations of some of the Lithium Ion batteries I have actual UPS Scale weights and specs for:

Ryobi 4V AP4001 … 0.14 lbs. / 5Wh = 0.028 lbs. per Wh

Ryobi 18V P102 … 0.91 lbs. / 24Wh = 0.038 lbs. per Wh
Ryobi 18V P108 … 1.58 lbs. / 72Wh = 0.022 lbs. per Wh
Ryobi 18V P193 … 2.04 lbs. / 108Wh = 0.019 lbs. per Wh

Ryobi 40V OP4015 … 2.06 lbs. / 55Wh = 0.037 lbs. per Wh
Ryobi 40V OP4026 … 3.04 lbs. / 94Wh = 0.032 lbs. per Wh
Ryobi 40V OP40301 … 3.02 lbs. / 108Wh = 0.028 lbs. per Wh

GW 40V 29462 … 1.82 lbs. / 73Wh = 0.025 lbs. per Wh
GW 40V 2901319 … 1.84 lbs. / 90Wh = 0.020 lbs. per Wh
GW 40V 29472 ... 2.88 lbs. / 146Wh = 0.020 lbs. per Wh
GW 40V L-600 … 2.94 lbs. / 240Wh = 0.012 lbs. per Wh

Kobalt 80V KB2580-06 … 3.28 lbs. / 180Wh = 0.018 lbs. per Wh
Kobalt 80V KB580-06 … 5.56 lbs. / 360Wh = 0.015 lbs. per Wh

The most impressive watt density weight ratios are in BOLD.

Doug

videobruce

Threads
In both cases Excel reported that some portions of the spreadsheet were unreadable, and offered to repair them. Once open, a few cells appeared with ? marks, which I assume was the unreadable/undecipherable data.
Out of curiosity, which chart was unreadable?
AFA the question marks, they are suppose to be there since that data was not available from the manufacture.

videobruce

Threads
"Battery Weight per Watt Hour"
category would be extremely hard to compile since battery weights are all over the place. One doesn't know if it is the weight of the pack itself or the shipping weight. Mower weights are the same way. I have see conflicting weight s for the same mower more than once while looking for enough data for those charts. The only TRUE way of doing so is actually having the pack using a 'postage scale', which I have (for precision). These mower packs are around 3 lbs and even 10ths of a lb would be somewhat vague.

MowerMike

Threads
Out of curiosity, which chart was unreadable?
AFA the question marks, they are suppose to be there since that data was not available from the manufacture.

Excel reported that portions of both spreadsheets were unreadable, and offered to repair, but never showed what portions or exactly what aspect was a problem. Perhaps it was just a font type/size or color issue, since the resulting cells had a total mishmash of fonts in them. I think a newer version of Excel might have worked better. Since you have stated that the ? marks were supposed to be there, I have probably captured all the data that you entered.

videobruce

Threads
The font I always use is Verdena 9 pt.

Not to get OT, but attached (1 zip file) are those two comparisons in OO format and in .xls (that OO converted to the older Excel format). See if the problem of different fonts remain in the .ods versions.
I think I know what happened. Any time I add or delete columns or rows, any new blocks are in the default OO font which is Arial (I believe).

Attachments

• Mowers.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 4

MowerMike

Threads
The font I always use is Verdena 9 pt.

Not to get OT, but attached (1 zip file) are those two comparisons in OO format and in .xls (that OO converted to the older Excel format). See if the problem of different fonts remain in the .ods versions.
I think I know what happened. Any time I add or delete columns or rows, any new blocks are in the default OO font which is Arial (I believe).

I was able to open the Excel .xls files without any problem in my Quattro Pro X9 spreadsheet program, so no need to monkey with the .ods files. Both spreadheets look fine, except that the text in some cells was red instead of black. I don't know if that was intentional. Anyway, all fonts are the same size and type, no data is missing, so I'd call it a success.