Kohler Courage XT7 - Will start but won't stay running for longer than 5 seconds!?!

NewToSmallEngines

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler Courage XT7 - Will start but won't stay running for longer than 5 seconds!?!
Hello Everyone,

Recently purchased a used XT7 mower. Looks in good/ excellent shape. It was sitting in a garage not temp controlled over the Canadian winter. It is having issues starting and staying running. I bought it last weekend, brought it home, cleaned the carb well, can see through all float holes etc, no gunk, added high test gas, oil looks ok but could be changed. Sprayed exterior moving parts with silicone spray and let sit.

I took the top end apart tonight, put the carb and pull cord bolts back on and boom it started! It ran for about 3 strips of my med size yard and died.
I notice now, once warm the carb is wide open and will not close. Seems the autochoke is stuck wide open now as where it was stiffer to push open when cold.

I have read that it could be the autochoke or the float isn't allowing the needle to let gas flow properly.

I'm going to buy a new carburetor and was thinking either new auto choke or adding a primer.

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

Paul

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Kohler Courage XT7 - Will start but won't stay running for longer than 5 seconds!?!
good deal, i use high test gas also with a quality brand fuel treatment in gas can per instructions on bottle. how does air filter look?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need to buy a new carb as the choke should stay wide open once the engine is warm. It will close up when the engine cools. Let it cool down and see if it will start again. If you post back, please give us all engine numbers, should be on a black and silver tag. That way we can see which engine you are talking about.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you snipped the end of the fuel solenoid?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You won’t find a fuel solenoid on that engine.