Pull cord Help

ToddC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a Yard Machine push mower. So the pull cord broke on me when I was trying to start it the other day. I took the metal cover off, held down by 3 screws. I replaced the cord just fine. However, I think there is a retention spring broken somewhere. I wound the cord around the pulley and bolted the cover back. The pull string will pull out but not retract. I can’t find any instructions for this mechanism or parts. Any help would be appreciated.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have to pre-load that thing by winding it in the direction of engine rotation, THEN install the rope and let the spring pull it all back into the rewind housing.

Is that the way you did it?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found that the rope breaks on some of the new lawnmowers. the rewind action will overextend the spring either bending the end to where it doesn't engage the rope pulley or breaks the springs off at the pulley. Most likely fix will be to replace the entire starter assembly since there are no individual parts for it.

ToddC

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I remove the metal cover, underneath is the plastic pulley. There is also a metal mechanism that has two "Tangs" that should extend outward to catch onto the mower itself. I'm assuming these tangs are what engages the mower and helps to turn the engine over. I'm not sure if there is a broken spring in this part or not. Turning the mechanism by hand, I can make the tangs extend out but I can't figure out how to place them under tension while reassembling the metal cover.
https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/asset.php?fid=35360&uid=96210&d=1557887941

murraymower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most likely the spring had been overextended. The entire mechanism should be replace. Its inexpensive. UC-9iOjFuLSRw26Vh-GP7Nwg