I HATE DECK CLEANING !!!!

Duffer72

Threads
+/- 2 acres for my lawn and a 120 yard golf hole fairway on the side along a power line easment.

DAAHEATH

Forum Newbie
Threads
While I enjoy changing the oil and greasing my tractor, as well as other tasks, I always have and always will dread the underside cleaning of my deck that is required about every 40 mowing hours.

The pictures show the mess from the second time this year, as my deck weighs 400 pounds and is a huge headache to remove and replace, I leave it on the tractor until removing it for winter storage. I drive the tractor up on a pair of car ramps, lock the parking brake, don old duds and safety glasses, then use a wood handled tool I made that had an old plastic ice scraper on the end to scrape off the big glass clumps, after propping open the discharge chute. Then it's time for lying on my side, using a 1400 psi power washer with a turbo nozzle to remove what is left. I always wish there were a removable port on the opposite side of the deck, to better scrape and blast away what is on that side.

So, does anybody have any ideas ona better, and less messy way to clean your mower deck? as I was finishing up, the two kids from next door came over, watching as I backed the tractor off the ramps. They wrinkled their noses, pointing at the wet green, disgusting mess, "What IS that stuff...??"

I am lucky because I have a car lift in my garage. I use a chain to fasten the front end of the mower to an arm of the lift then can raise the mower vertical. This gives me full access to the underside of the mower deck and makes it easy to remove the blades and scrape the compacted grass out.

TheWatfordFox

Threads
While I enjoy changing the oil and greasing my tractor, as well as other tasks, I always have and always will dread the underside cleaning of my deck that is required about every 40 mowing hours.

The pictures show the mess from the second time this year, as my deck weighs 400 pounds and is a huge headache to remove and replace, I leave it on the tractor until removing it for winter storage. I drive the tractor up on a pair of car ramps, lock the parking brake, don old duds and safety glasses, then use a wood handled tool I made that had an old plastic ice scraper on the end to scrape off the big glass clumps, after propping open the discharge chute. Then it's time for lying on my side, using a 1400 psi power washer with a turbo nozzle to remove what is left. I always wish there were a removable port on the opposite side of the deck, to better scrape and blast away what is on that side.

So, does anybody have any ideas ona better, and less messy way to clean your mower deck? as I was finishing up, the two kids from next door came over, watching as I backed the tractor off the ramps. They wrinkled their noses, pointing at the wet green, disgusting mess, "What IS that stuff...??"

I run a Husqvarna YTH2348 and clean the deck once a year whether it needs it or not. She's over 10 years old and 650 hours now and bears the years very gracefully.
When I give it its annual oil change I whip the deck off, remove the mulching blades, jet wash the underside and treat it with Waxoyl. I use my angle grinder to sharpen the blades, then reassemble. Job done.

evilrussell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a yellow plastic gadget that I was going to build myself out of tubing. Works really good but one of the three nozzles got damaged. Cheap plastic!
The damage came from me dropping it not from the mower blades.
I just wish I didn't have to sit on the mower while it sprays as it takes about 15-20 minutes to get it really clean.
Paid about $22 for this cheaply made yellow gadget. Just wish it was more durable.
Larry

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the thin wooden wedges used to shim doors and windows. A package of them costs about a dollar. If the width doesn't suit you, split it down the middle and you have a half-width scraper. Scrape early and often, as the crud isn't stuck very tight until it's had time to adhere to a surface.

I try to keep scraping to a minimum, so I try to mow dry grass.

DCFDZeke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cleaning the deck and sharpening blades more often is the only reason I bought a Hustler Raptor with the deck that flips up to about 85 degrees. I let it cool off and try to stay away from the spindles. The steel deck stays roughly the same as the exterior temperature but the aluminum spindles can get a temp in the 100's. Appling cold water to the hot material is why I wait.
I have had some success with Wilmer's Deck Graphite applied by brush, not their spray can, to keep grass from clumping but it didn't last more than a month.

clubairth

Threads
I also use my lift for mower service. Makes me smile how easy it is. I use nylon straps on the front casters. Raptor SD54.

I have not picked up my mower all the way vertical because of spilling gas and oil.
Did you drain fluids before doing this?

DCFDZeke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also use my lift for mower service. Makes me smile how easy it is. I use nylon straps on the front casters. Raptor SD54.

I have not picked up my mower all the way vertical because of spilling gas and oil.
Did you drain fluids before doing this?
No it was designed that way. Its a Raptor Flip-Up.

https://youtu.be/a_CDOg18eV0

RoyalMaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used to clean my craftsman push mower deck after every cut (I owned it 20 years). I am doing the same with my Honda.​

LMAN007

Threads
With my push mower, I wait until it is almost out of fuel (for no leaking), tip it back on its handles, use an ice scraper for the grass, then give it a good plast with my jet hose attachment to get it gleaming :smile:

But then I only have a push mower and it doesn't take that long, unless you are obsessive like me!

That's why I like my HONDA HRX with the NeXite deck. No grass sticks to the bottom of it, it's like cooking with a no stick pan!:laughing: