Installing electric start

farmboymi.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I bought an eight horse Tecmseh engine. It has no electric start, but is made to put one on it. I bought a starter for it. Now, can I install the starter without a cellinoid
Can't I just buy a push botton to start it. Then hook the positive post on the battery to the only post on the starter. Hook the negative post to the starter button and from the starter botton to the ground. The starter button will only be activated when the button is pushed. But will deactivate when I release the button. Thank you for the help in advnace. Any help will be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
The starter pulls about 200 amps so you will need a 200 Amp switch.
a normal push button will burn out the first time you use it.

farmboymi.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for getting back to me. So, I either have to go to a 200 amp push button or to a cellinoid.? Any special sellinoid.? thanks again and have a great day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any remote SOLENOID will do the job
Easiest to use a single trigger wire one.
They ground through the body so make sure the bolt that holds them in place makes a good ground.
After that run your trigger wire from the battery to the push button to the trigger terminal on the solenoid.
They are not polarity sensitive so the starter cables can go on either side.

tadawson

Threads
Of course, this assumes that the OP has a 12v DC starter and not the more common 120v AC version . . .

farmboymi.

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is exactly the information that I needed. Yes, it is a 12 volt starter. Thank you guys for the help.