Need a carb

mudpie

Threads
I've got an FC420V, and I broke the carb. They're no longer available through the usual suppliers, but I've seen some on Amazon in the $180 range.

There's carbs available for other Kawasaki motors that look identical, and they're in the $50 range. Obviously they're going to have different internals for other (usually bigger) motors, but I'm wondering if anybody might know how interchangeable some other carbs are.

I believe my carb part number is 15003-2349, if that helps at all. Any thoughts appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Amazon looks to be the cheapest, Partstree has on for 215. Few other places had them 300....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A carb is a carb is a carb is a carb
Any carb can be made to run on any engine.
It is just a matter of connecting it and getting the governor sorted out.
The easiest thing is to use a carb from the same brand of engine because usually the mounting centres & bore will be about the same
And one that is the same cubic capacity because it should be jetted about right.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a piece of polished oak with a brass plate would look nice on the mantle.

But seriously you can put any butterfly carb on there, no need to get all hung up over it.
If you select one that has the same type of controls it will be fine.
Every mower repairer ( not glass front retail shop ) will have boxes of them.
We pull them off blown engines cause they are good and we can't throw a good part away but all new engine come with a carb so you end up with boxes of them.
While the correct carb will be the easiest one to fit it is no big job to fit a different one.
Can't remember how many old cars I drove that had a massive 4 barrel Holly hanging off it cause I got a couple of them cheap.
All of my vintage BSA's have either Amal concentric carbs or Mikuni's fitted, neither was original.
Put a GX Honda carb on an Onan a while back cause the Onan carb was around $ 600 ( aus ) + freight.

The 31 series Briggs I am working in right now has NIKKI on it.
Briggs told me it was fitted with a Ruxin.
The previous year they were fitted with Nikkis's Walbros's or Ruxin's

So no need to be precious any old carb will do

The only tricky bit is if you have to make some new control rods you have to use FULL HARD wire otherwise it will bend in service, found that one out the embarassing way