31A707-0525-B1 - Briggs & Stratton Vertical Engine

kvwils67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello
Just joined so first post looking for some info/knowledge that im unable to locate....Pics inlcuded
Heres my issue:

You see the pics, im having trouble as to the valve guides and how they are set....Do they look proper how they look? Yes hard but thats why I need some knowledge as my first rebuild....

I bought the mower off the road, had bad carb, bent aluminum rod, needed a couple gaskets. Replaced all (though they did give me a steel rod so I am going to fix that no biggie) and engine fired right off, strong, ran then threw rod but no bend this time. Wash rinse repeat so now I have apart again to replace rod with aluminum to see if that stops it but I wanted to make sure all was right.

The exhaust valve sticks slightly, can I just lube and use if guides are ok? Very tiny bit of play side to side, I dont think enough to worry about, but should I? Springs and rest of items look fine to almost if not new/replaced and I do know this beast runs fantastic. Just must resolve head...Thankks in advance!

Kevin in Maryland20190510_135744.jpg20190510_135758.jpg

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well I couldn't get your picture clear enough to tell much about it but slipped valve guide usually causes the symptoms you describe. The valve guides should not be more than 1/8" above the head casting on your engine. (rocker arm side) When they get higher the valve spring keeper hits the top of the guide causing the push rod to bend or come out in your case. The valve guide slipping is most often caused by a cooling problem, plugged cooling shroud and or cooling fins. Pay especial attention to the passage going thru the head from side to the other around the valve guide castings. That steel push rod is fine, no need to get the aluminum.

I can send you a narrative on setting your valves, checking for compression release function and a fix for slipped valve guides if that is the case. Also a Service Manual for your engine. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Tinkerer200

Threads
Strongly suggest you seek advice from someone on this forum before you go cutting off carb solenoid plunger for your symptoms as suggested by friend. Let friend buy you a new one.

Walt Conner