Kohler Command 27 Fuel problem

Thomas1975

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
The other day after about 45 min/1hr of mowing my engine started to sputter like it had ran out of fuel, after checking the fuel level (was over 3/4 tank), I attempted to restart the engine, after about 2 seconds of cranking I saw fire (Small amount went out quickly) from the front of the mower. I removed the air cleaner and noticed raw fuel sitting in the mounting housing (Looks like a bowl). I tried starting again and watched the carburetor and noticed that fuel ton of fuel was flowing from the carb ( Not spitting or blowing just pouring out). I checked a few thing then let it sit over night then attempted to start it again, it started and ran fine, no missing, smooth running and so on, but after roughly 25-30 seconds fuel once again started pouring from the carburetor, then the motor quit running, after the engine stopped fuel continued to flow out for another few seconds. Below are a list of things I've checked.

1- Spark - Good spark
2 - took the cowling off and cleaned dirt and debris and noticed a rodent had chewed partially through a yellow wire running to a coil. Sliced it back together, retested and still same problem.
3 - Valves - Took off the valve covers to check for stuck intake valves, (Both side valves moved freely, no loose rocker arms.)
4 - Flywheel key way - everything seems as it should be, took the flywheel bolt off, key way looked to be intact. ( As I stated above the engine started and ran fine for around 25-30 sec.)
5 - Float bowl shut off - took off the carb and removed the float bowl to check the float for sticking/leaky float. nothing seemed out of the ordinary there. Also tested the shut off solenoid and it was functioning as it should.

That's where I am, I have yet to test compression or to pull the flywheel completely off for a better visual of the key way. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas1975

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me like you need a new needle and seat.
This video may help you... https://youtu.be/5JOgUxBU3MQ?t=230
or this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzn0yAnCW8

if you have the model # of the engine that would be helpful

The Part number for the engine in the Manual is KH-CV740-0026. I did order a replacement carburetor, I damaged a gasket and the spring for the accelerator pump was corroded. For the price of an overhaul kit, a new carb. was just a few bucks more.

Thomas1975

Forum Newbie
Threads
Installed new carb. problem solved. Thanks.