Scag Liberty or Scag Freedom?

amc5553

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been reading some of the posts on this page for the past month and have gained a ton of knowledge. Now it's time for me to venture into the world of mowers and hopefully into the world of ZTRs!

I am torn between these two mowers in a 52" deck. I have done a lot of research but would like some input. The Liberty was quoted at $4500 and the Freedom was $5300. They have the same decks and the same Hydros but the liberty has the Kawi engine and the Freedom has the Kohler. Additionally they Freedom has some nice comfort features such as a nicer seat, nicer cut height selector, bigger fuel tank, and I like the deck lift chains versus the U bolts on the liberty ( seems more commercial style). Maybe there are other differences or nice things an that's where you all come in.

Anyway I need to know if those things justify the $800 increase in price and which one you would choose. I have 1 acre to mow which I know I can do with a push mower but hey when you can buy a zero turn why not. lol I may also try and do a few local yards a week for extra money or just to help those in need.

Also please only give me opinions on these two mowers. I have two dealers close that have been great to work with and have already ruled out other brands based on other reasons. Thanks!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Money not being an issue, I would opt for the Freedom. I think the things you've mentioned + other features make it worthwhile.

Too bad it can't come w/Kawasaki & the 5 year warranty as the Liberty does, not to mention the additional weight of the Freedom.

Luffydog

Threads
Freedom has serviceable transaxles as well as filters and the seat and engine is the difference as well as the warranty.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Liberty has serviceable hydros also w/oil filters too.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Warranty limitations:
Both Kawasaki and Kohler engines have a 36 month warranty with limitations. The use of aftermarket parts, unapproved fuel, unapproved engine oil and abuse will void the warranty.
Scag warranty, residential, if machine doesn't leave the registered owners property. If it is used anywhere else, it is then considered commercial use.
Scag does not warranty engines, drive components or normal wear parts.
PTO clutch warranty may be covered by Scag.
Scag warranty is not transferable and the engine warranties may also not be transferable.
The Liberty Z is considered a residential machine.
The Freedom Z is considered to be a base entry level commercial machine.
I recommend the Freedom Z, but I suggest that you at least look at the Patriot. The reason that I mention the Patriot is that it has the top of the line commercially rated Kawasaki F691V engine with a two stage Donaldson canister air filter system. The Kohler engine option also has the canister air filter system. Good air filtration is important on ZTR mowers.:laughing:

amc5553

Forum Newbie
Threads
Warranty limitations:
Both Kawasaki and Kohler engines have a 36 month warranty with limitations. The use of aftermarket parts, unapproved fuel, unapproved engine oil and abuse will void the warranty.
Scag warranty, residential, if machine doesn't leave the registered owners property. If it is used anywhere else, it is then considered commercial use.
Scag does not warranty engines, drive components or normal wear parts.
PTO clutch warranty may be covered by Scag.
Scag warranty is not transferable and the engine warranties may also not be transferable.
The Liberty Z is considered a residential machine.
The Freedom Z is considered to be a base entry level commercial machine.
I recommend the Freedom Z, but I suggest that you at least look at the Patriot. The reason that I mention the Patriot is that it has the top of the line commercially rated Kawasaki F691V engine with a two stage Donaldson canister air filter system. The Kohler engine option also has the canister air filter system. Good air filtration is important on ZTR mowers.:laughing:

So to be clear are you saying that the Kohler that is on the Freedom also has the canister air filter or are you saying the Kohler option on the Patriot?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Liberty Z, 52" deck model:
Non commercial rated, no rollover bar.
Kawasaki FR691V has a minimal air filter and the only engine option.

Freedom Z, 52" deck model:
Base line commercially rated, has a rigid rollover bar.
Kohler 7000 Series Pro, KT735, the only engine option, has an improved air filter system similar to the Briggs & Stratton Cyclonic Air Filter which has turned out to be a fairly good air filtering system.

Patriot, 52" deck model:
Intermediate commercially rated, has foldable rollover bar, larger tires, higher level drive units, nice seat.
Kawasaki FX691V top of the line engine with a two stage canister air filter. Kohler Command Pro CV732 has a canister type air filter of a different design.

The Patriot was put together with feedback from Scag operators/dealers to provide a mid level commercially rated machine with top of the line engine options.:smile:

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Should you have the need for a collection system, with the bags hanging directly behind the engine, a better air filtration system is needed. Zero Turn mowers tend to be dusty due to their design, a collection system adds to the dust level.:smile:

amc5553

Forum Newbie
Threads
Liberty Z, 52" deck model:
Non commercial rated, no rollover bar.
Kawasaki FR691V has a minimal air filter and the only engine option.

Freedom Z, 52" deck model:
Base line commercially rated, has a rigid rollover bar.
Kohler 7000 Series Pro, KT735, the only engine option, has an improved air filter system similar to the Briggs & Stratton Cyclonic Air Filter which has turned out to be a fairly good air filtering system.

Patriot, 52" deck model:
Intermediate commercially rated, has foldable rollover bar, larger tires, higher level drive units, nice seat.
Kawasaki FX691V top of the line engine with a two stage canister air filter. Kohler Command Pro CV732 has a canister type air filter of a different design.

The Patriot was put together with feedback from Scag operators/dealers to provide a mid level commercially rated machine with top of the line engine options.:smile:

Thank you so much for the detailed right up! Not sure if it makes my decision easier or harder though haha. I’ll have to price the patriot. I wasn’t looking to spend that much but maybe it will be worth it. Thanks again.